Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first brisket...a little dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first brisket...a little dry

Put this 10# brisket on at 0200. Hit 203 at 1700. Put it in faux cambro for two hours. Used BBBR and a brine injection as well as salted over night. I think it was dry because I cut off too much of the fat cap. As ideas?
    Attached Files

pics are a little out of order...sorry

Comment

Hey Jerod Broussard one of NYs Finest needs your help.

Comment

First, how did you decide when to pull it? Did you go by temp, or something else? The most reliable way to tell it's ready is when it's probe tender, not by temp.

Second, how long before serving did you slice it? Brisket starts to lose moisture the minute you slice it, so if you sliced it and let it sit a while, it would get drier as it sat.

Third, did you collect and save the juices? Most here pour the juices over the meat when serving.

Forth, what grade brisket did you cook. Prime cooks a bit faster than choice, and is normally ready at a lower temp than other grades.

I hope this helps.

Almost forgot - the rendered fat does not penetrate the meat, so does not directly contribute to moistness. However, I'm not sure if the presence of a fat cap helps to hold moisture from the meat in. I have over trimmed the fat and still wound up with a moist brisket.

Comment

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          I would just add, did you wrap the brisket or let it ride the whole time? How long did it take to cook?
          The fat cap protects the meat from the most intense heat, decreasing the evaporation. At least I believe that's why so many put the fat cap towards the heat. Not sure if that holds true on the SnS

Dry is usually an indication of overcooked, I did the same thing to the last brisket flat that I tried. I checked it at 190 and it was not probe tender so I let it go to 200 and it was for sure probe tender, I then took it off and put it in a cambro for a couple hours. The only problem is that it was probably done and probe tender at 195 but I can't say for sure because I did not check it at that temp. Next time I will be a little more diligent checking it for probe tender rather than temp.
        Last edited by vandy; August 9, 2017, 01:20 AM.

Comment

RonB is on the right track, I think. 203F is around the temperature that they are ready, but each Brisket is different. Go for probe tender.

An an option for next time would be to wrap tightly once you have good bark - typically between 170 and 180F. Keep it wrapped in the foil until ready to carve. Only carve the slices that you're serving. Use the juices from the wrap to drizzle back over the slices.

Comment

I wrapped it when it hit 170 til 203. It was on the smoker for almost 15 hours. Then put it in a faux cambro. That pic is taken right after I sliced it....no juice!!! I dont know what grade the meat was. I got it from the local butcher. Whats "probe tender"? The brisket was really good just not moist.

Comment

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              Use the probe of an instant read thermometer to check your meat starting at 190-195F. When the probe goes into the meat with no resistance (like butter), the meat is done. Regardless of the temperature.

I would guess that was probably select grade. Also, 15 hrs seems like a long time. Possibly overcooked. But more info needed. Cooker, fuel, etc.?

Comment

Looks like a big ole Select flat with a little point attached.

Select flats are Super lean. The only way to combat dryness is with a mop sauce. Slicing the whole thing at one time allows the slice surfaces to REALLY dry out.

There's a reason Smoque BBQ in Chicago cuts off a portion of the brisket for chopped beef.

Comment

All the advice above is spot on. So the advice that I have is don't give up. When you get is spot on you will be really happy with the accomplishment.

Comment

I'm guessing the grade and the fact that it might have been over cook.

Comment

Well, you sure did everything good, right up to testing for probe tenderness, NYFINEST . Trim, inject, dry brine overnight, rub, wrap at 170ish, cambro for 2+ hours...all those good boxes got ticked as you did the prep and the cook. It's looking more and more like it was overcooked. That said, some pieces of brisket are just ornery and never smoke up moist.

What smoker/fuel did you use and what was the smoker temp?

Chop it and use it, sauced, in sammies or in tacos, meat marinara, chili, lasagna, etc. It'll still eat good I bet.

Kathryn

Comment

Smoked beef makes great tacos. Just add some taco seasoning and a bit of water.

Comment

I used a 26in Weber Kettle with a SNS using blue bag charcoal. Stayed 225-240. Don't get me wrong... it was all gone by the time dinner was over. Just wished it was moist. I used a "bargain" thermometer for the cook. Maybe it was off. I have a smoke coming in the mail this week.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it too much, maybe just make sure to get CAB or choice next time. It looked fantastic and I'm sure it tasted just as good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here