Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad brisket morning...๐Ÿ˜ก

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad brisket morning...๐Ÿ˜ก

What a crazy morning!! Early this week I planned to fix a brisket and invite family over for dinner. Find a decent looking 15# packer at our local store Friday. After lunch on Saturday I get the knifes out and get it trimmed up and remove the point (just to get a little faster cook), inject some beef broth, get my brine on and clean the weber 26" and SnS. Feeling pretty good about being really prepared this time...Ha.
    Wake up at 3 am, got my starter coals going, put the BBBR all over the brisket...man I'm feeling good about now!!! Starter coals ashed over added my chimney full of charcoal and water to the trough then waited for my temp to raise. I personally like cooking brisket between 250-275. Temp came up nice to 277 and I slipped the temp probe in and set her on the grill at about 3:45. Checked on her at 6 and the temp was a little hot around 287. Closed down my inlet a little but noticed it was starting to rain. So I pushed my gasser out from under the awning to make room for my weber 26". I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get her out of the rain and moved it to fast, spilling the water over into the coals and pretty much putting them out. At 7:30 the Temp had dropped to 150, added more charcoal but it wouldn't recover!! Meat temp had dropped from 170 down to 150. So I started the oven, double wrapped the flat and stuck it in at 275.
    went back out about 9:30, moved the charcoal around and got it going again, temp went to 273 so I left the pint on it to finish.
    So much for planning ahead!
    If this thing turns out any good the BBQ God were shining down on me!!!

Oh and the rain stopped about 2 mins after I moved the grill.....HA.

Hope you all have a better Sunday.

Dad;
    That's not a "BAD day", that's just a "challenging day". It sounds to me like you rose to the occasion and all will end well.

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Comment

And the river didn't rise! Sounds like good planning and prep led to a smart and prompt recovery. I'm sure you will be fine as you were cooking hotter.

nice work!

Comment

At least you got a good story out of the deal. I bet it still turns out great. Good luck!

Comment

What a start to yer cook!!!
          I hope it's smooth sailin' from here!!!
          Good Luck!!!

Comment

LOL.. nuttin a lil Kentucky windage can't fix. Git Er Done Grill Master.

Comment

Dooh!!! Hopefully it all works out!

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity to excel!

Comment

I've done a few briskets over the years and I've never had one cook this quick. I mean hardly any stall that I noticed. It's 12:06 and I just pulled the flat out of the oven at 205F. I mean this is crazy...HA. This is the first time I've injected a brisket, you guys think that made the cook go faster??? I've done it on some pork shoulders and never noticed much difference in the cook time??

Comment

I think it will turn out great.

Comment

Well the results were the point was awesome but the flat was dry to me. Only had 4 slices left over from a whole packer though, flavor was ok just not beefy enough. On to the next cook I guess. Doing 20lbs of pork shoulder and 6 slabs of ribs next weekend...I really hope things go better...ha

Comment

The cook is not always to the swiftest but to those who keep on cooking. Congratulations.

Comment

Improvise, adapt, and overcome! Great opportunities to expand our experiences! Thanks for posting. Glad it turned out ok.

Comment

• BarBQ22
                            BarBQ22 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Heartbreak ridge is one of my top 10 fav movies of all time.

I love me some BBBR, but I have decided that it is difficult, if not impossible, to beat coarsely ground black pepper and salt as a rub for brisket. A classic case of less is more. The last 2 briskets I have cooked I used this, and they were the 2 best I have done.

Comment

Well at least the Point came out well. That is my favorite part, no question. Keep plugging away, it just takes practice. Never stop getting better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here