Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threw a couple of John Gruden's on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threw a couple of John Gruden's on the Kettle

If you don't follow sports, he's a fiery little sawed off ex-NFL coach who looks just like CHUCKIE from the movies. I picked up 2 chuckies on the way home last night and dry brined overnight. I mixed up a mish mash of seasonings to rub it this morning. A pinch of black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, BWW Desert Heat, smoke paprika, garlic, onion and a dash of MMD. Even amounts of everything except the cayenne and Desert Heat. I got my DRIP N GRIDDLE yesterday. Got it lined with foil and a small pan to catch some drippings for either gravy or putting a touch into my Mac N Cheese I am going to make.

A shout out to Adrenaline BBQ. I now have the SNS and the DNG. I've worked with metal in a previous life. These are super hard fabricated pieces, but compared to 90% of the off shore crap we get these days, they are made out of nice thick SS. They should last a WHILE.

I've never tried to make (or really even thought of) making pulled beef. Here in Memphis, I'll probably get shot if word gets out. I mean, I am loved some pulled pork, but the 2 briskets I've done this summer have been awesome. And this was WAAAAAY cheaper and looks pretty dang easy!

I think Robert Duvall once said....I love the smell of smoke in the morning. Or something like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_095536.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	357363Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_100420.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	649.6 KB
ID:	357362

Nice!!! Pictures at the end and anywhere in between please!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      BIG Ten-Roger dat comment!!! droopie69
      It's in our DNA...
      When they finally do my autopsy, they will be Astonished by th' Smoke Ring!!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 5, 2017, 01:36 PM.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, yeah. Love the smell of smoke in the morning!

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am the only one that keeps smelling my hands after I come back inside from the pit. They smell like hickory smoke for some reason. And that's as good a smell as fresh popcorn or coffee.

I guess I can't Comment on my original post...but Dang it...I love the SNS. I fired her up with a tumbleweed and 12 KBB briquets just like the instructions said. I let it get to 180, then shut down the vents per the instructions and my experience from 2 burns already. It crept up to about 215, but I want this one to go about 250. So, I went out and cracked the top a touch and just bumped the bottom. The temp crept up to about 270. I went back out and bumped the top closed and the bottom to about where it was when I started. I am looking at my ET-733 right now and it says 250!!!!!! Dead center of the cook grate between the two Chucks. I always said I went with an electric smoker so I didn't have to constantly jack with the vents and fuel. WHO has to do that with the Slow N Sear????

Not this guy!

Shout out to David Parrish FTW!!!!!

Comment

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a lavarock gasket...leaks solved!!! I did a chicken cook before I got the gasket on and it leaked pretty bad. I even scratched the lid trying to bend it into a better shape. Should have just put the gasket on.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Now take a magic marker or paint pen and mark exactly where the vents need to be for 250*. For my kettle, I just made one single line from the adjustable part of the vent to the lit so that I have a starting point for every cook. Weather changes may require slight adjustments.

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron, I did just that except with a silver sharpie I put a mark for closed, 1/2 way and wide open. I can't say enough about the SNS with a lid gasket! EVERYONE should have at least 1

Status report. 154IT, added another hunk of apple and hickory. Making me hungry! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_100420 (Medium).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	357433

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin' good, Sir!!!

Beautiful!

Comment

It's up to 176it so it's time for a wrap. Looks good to me! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_155328 (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	357540

Comment

Those are looking great!

Comment

I'll be eating your chuckie dust, droopie69 , because tomorrow I'll be throwing 3 chuckies into the smoker. I originally planned to PBC them, but I may WSCGC them instead, since that smoker is feeling neglected. Might do some Lil Smokies-stuffed ABTs while I'm at it.

Hope your chuckies turn out great. They're certainly on their way to greatness!

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            That often happens to my chuckies, too--once wrapped at 170-180°F, they get up to 208°F or so quickly. Enjoy those good eats, droopie69 . My chuckies are going on in an hour. How long did yours take?

Kathryn

• droopie69
            droopie69 commented
            Editing a comment
            They only took about 7 hrs, then 2.5 hours in the cooler. They were extra juicy and not quite pulled pork pull a part. I don't know if extra time before the wrap and longer in the cooler would have done that. No one said a thing other than YUM though.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine took about 7 hours, although the thinnest one was done in 5 hours, droopie69 . Looks like we both caught the same chuckie train.

Hahahahaha, "a couple of Grudens on the kettle". Football season is just around the corner.......can you tell? LOL. Great post man!

Comment

I didn't get a pic when they came out of the cooler, but here they are shredded into chunks. They were super juicy, so I don't know if longer unwrapped would have made them more like pulled pork. These were tender, but some bits refused to really shred without some work. They were delicious and a big hit to a skeptical audience! The mac n cheese was outta site. I probably could have left out the 2nd stick of butter, but there was mild cheddar, sharp cheddar and gouda, cream, butter and spices. Topped with panko and french fried onions...oh and bacon bits....everything's better with bacon right???

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_192829 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	358051Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_192821 (2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	748.8 KB
ID:	358052

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              What a tasty looking feast, droopie69 . Some chuckies pull easier than others. My first chuckies did not pull well, but then I learned from David Parrish to take them up to 208°F for optimal pulling, and that made all the difference.

Kathryn

I love a good mac & cheese and yours looks great. I don't have a recipe of my own but really enjoy this one from Deep South Dish (no affiliation). Browse around for other recipes when you get there. I've liked everything I've tried from there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here