Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good so far! You could wrap anytime and be OK, or wait another hour if you want. Keep the heat to it though. You got a ways to go before 6:00 and you really want a couple hours (or more) wrapped up and resting in a nice warm place before you serve. I always relax when it IS done, not when it looks like it's gonna be done. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks all for the input. Just found out from my wife our eating time has move to 7 so that gives 6 more hrs from now. At 171 now with smoker temp at 250.

Ok I may be misunderstanding something. I thought you only wrap to do Texas crutch and get thru stall quicker. If I just let it cook thru the stall, should I still wrap?

thanks.

Comment

You can wrap to finish the cook or not. Wrap can be foil or butcher paper. Wrapping helps prevent drying out but may soften a marginal bark. Paper wrap is a compromise. Lotsa choices. For certain sure you want to wrap with foil for the"rest" period wether it's done in a cooler (faux cambro), an oven or a low temp cooker! It preserves moisture, finishes cooking and "relaxes" during that time. Very important! Enjoy!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Cooking a brisket gets it cooked. Wrapping and holding knocks it out the park.

Fantastic. Thank you. Will let it go as is until it is time to pull it off then will wrap it and let it rest. Thanks!

Comment

Please don't forget that you should cook 'till probe tender - not a specific temp. Lot's of the members here start probing around 190*. You want that probe to slide in with no resistance. The "rest" is like adding whipped cream to pie. It just makes it even better. If you don't have a cooler big enough, you can put it in the oven, (wrapped), at ~ 170* and get great results.

Comment

The great Danny Gaulden goes to the 'wabba-wabba', or to when a stiff two-tined fork can be inserted and easily turned for us lesser mortals.

Comment

Yep. On it. I am so excited right now! At 179 right now so in about 10 more degrees the probing shall begin!

Comment

Pic of it at 179
                Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a serious cable on your probe - what brand is it?

• Ddecker
                  Ddecker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is the Memphis Grill probe that came with it. Just ordered another one today as the grill can measure 3 at once but for now I think I will just need 2. Also have a ThermaQ wifi on back order right now to use with this and the gas grill.

Now, yer barkin' up th' right tree!

Comment

• Ddecker
                  Ddecker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Niiiccceee. Fingers are crossed.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My fingers are crossed fer ya', here, as well!!! Happy Landings!
                  Best regards to ya', an' yers!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Woof! Woof!

Woof! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_163211.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	357526

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How very sad!!!
                  They both look positively allergic to smoker meat...
                  Cute Doggies, Brother!!!
                  Please, do tell 'em Mr. Bones said "WOOF"

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This was right after they got the trimmings from the 35 day dry-aged rib roast. And looking for more. Bark!

I sent your greeting along, Brother!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	357542 Where the probe was at was saying 193 when I think it hit the right probe test. Pulled it off. Covered it and put it in the oven for next 2-3 hrs. When I pulled it off the grates, some of the bark from the underside stayed attached to the grates. Is that normal or did I do something wrong. I just realized I did not oil grates before I put the brisket down.

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's normal for me to lose a little where there might have been some external fat on the brisket. It won't affect the outcome. Looks like a great brisket!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's one reason why I like to smoke my briskets fat side down if I'm not hanging them in the PBC. Helps with removing them from the grate, and if a little bit is left behind on the grate, it's not such a big loss.

• Ddecker
                  Ddecker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks kmhfive. Will know in next couple of hours!
                  Last edited by Ddecker; August 5, 2017, 06:49 PM.

Here are some "end state" pics. It did end up just a little dry. We loved the taste but next one I will want a bit juicier.

To achieve that I need to wrap around he time of the stall, right?

Thank you all for your help on this!! It has been a great first run at brisket and we will be having sandwiches, brisket stuffed potatoes and brisket tacos for a couple of days!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	357702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1341.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	357703
                Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great job! Instead of wrapping at the stall give it a little more smoke to build the bark and then wrap -- between about 170 and 180F you should see a good bark development and wrap then.

• Ddecker
                  Ddecker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will do. Gracias!

The slices of the flat you show don't look too dry. Flat is always a little drier. Wrapping after the stall will help. You may even want to consider injecting your brisket prior to cook. All in all, great job for a "first one"! Congrats!

Comment

• Ddecker
                  Ddecker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Much appreciated HorseDoctor and you are right, the point was definitely more moist and the whole thing was tender. Didn't realize it is normal for the flat to be drier. Man, that was just dang good eating!

Yeah, I bought an injector today so will give that a shot as well.

Howdy Ddecker
                I am late to this 1st brisket smoke of yours, but wanted to share from my experiences and mistakes with brisket.
                -
                I have smoked somewhere around 150 briskets to date, and have made many changes along the way to getting it right.
                Gotta get ready for work right now, but will get back with you.
                Smoke On!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here