Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

freeze and defrost or is fridge ok for 4 days. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freeze and defrost or is fridge ok for 4 days. Brisket

Hey guys, new member. Long time reader. Not sure if this is even place to ask a question. I plan on smoking a brisket in 4 days but am going to buy brisket tomorrow. Should I freeze it and defrost or is ok to leave in fridge for 3 or 4 days? Thx

Welcome GreggF it will be just find in the fridge

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! Leave in the fridge. If it's in a cryopack, you can wet age it for several weeks.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Gregg. It will be fine, but I suggest trimming it right away and then apply your dry brine. That will give it plenty of time to penetrate.

Comment

Howdy from The Great State of Jefferson! I did a choice CAB whole packer for the 4th of July that sat in it's cryovac for 38 days and it was fantastic. There's a prime packer sitting the beer fridge since the 13th just waiting for an occasion. The point (pardon the pun) is beef can wet age for quite a while in a vacuum. Here's Meathead's take: Wet Aged Beef. Most meat is shipped from slaughter houses as large wholesale cuts packed in plastic vacuum bags in boxes. If kept this way at 34 to 38°F for about 30 days, enzymes tenderize the meat, but the flavor is not as enhanced as it is in dry aging. If you buy vacuum packed beef that has not been aged, keeping it in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks may tenderize it a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Stupid question...How do you see new posts? Or topics that interest you?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              at the top of the page is a set of red Tabs (make sure you have Forums picked) then the 1st option below the tabs is "Today's Posts" Click on that and you go to the newest posts.

I'm going to ask them to trim/find a 4 pound point so may not be cryo packed. Only 2 of us

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              If it's not cryovac'd, then dry brine it for a few days.

Top left, "Today's Posts" to start. Also, you can look through the menu of forums and find a forum such as Charcoal cookers or whatever. It's pretty well organized.

Comment

Again many thx for the quick 411. I'll play around w it.

Comment

RonB, my dry brine is kosher salt. 3 days ahead of time? I love brining but I 've never done it for that long.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do it all the time. Overnight for chicken and thin cuts like 1.5" steaks and 2 to 3 days for brisket and pork butts.

Curious not argumentative

Comment

I just saw your post Scott. Dry brine it is for the 3 days in fridge.

Comment

Small sample size.. but a consensus I guess.

Comment

No worries my friend. Unwrap that bad boy, trim it, salt it and come back in a few days. t's all good! Just so long as your packer was not bought on the 50% off rack you are golden. In fact a couple of weeks ago I dry-brined a chcuck and forgot above up it for a week. Made a smoked meat
                      oaf. D licious

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here