Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folks In Austin TX are Lucky - Prime Packers Everywhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks In Austin TX are Lucky - Prime Packers Everywhere...

I spent a long weekend in Austin TX visiting my Mom and brother. He and I always find an excuse to go shopping!
    He knows I can't get USDA Prime brisket here in the Northeast - Rochester NY. Local Costco doesn't even sell packers - just Choice flats.

Anyway, our first stop was H.E.B - large TX grocery chain. Lo and behold, Prime Packers ($3.99/lb)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170715_112041 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	487.3 KB ID:	349809

We skipped buying here, we were heading to Costco next. I did score a few jars of Dan Pastorini's Rub.

Next stop, Costco. Great assortment! There was a couple taking a lot of time going through the briskets. The woman asked me, what size are you looking for? (I think they wanted to spend another 15 mins in front of the meat case ;-)
    I told her, around 14 lbs.
    She hands me 2 ~14lb briskets and I picked the one most marbled - she said "good choice"

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_122905 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	405.7 KB ID:	349808

Not only was there brisket, but off the side was some Prime Beef Short Ribs...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170716_122928 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	362.3 KB ID:	349810

I settled on the 14lb Prime Packer and it is now wet aging back here in the Northeast. This was the 2nd time this year I have had the luck to be either in Texas or California - both times hauled a packer back in my carry on suitcase. I have a nice insulated cooler bag and I put it in at the last minute before heading to the airport.

TSA always pull me a side and checks the brisket - but I haven't had a problem yet. In fact the nice TSA lady in Austin commented it was a nice, well marbled brisket. She is a BBQ smoker as well.

How nice is that. Good looking meat with a good story about TSA.

Comment

JGrana ... save that picture of those Prime grade packers at the Texas Costco store and show it to the meat manager at your local Costco store. Tell him he's missing the boat because he's not stocking these huge Briskets. Maybe you can sway him to do the right thing.๐Ÿ‘

Comment

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea Breadhead! I am going to do that!

I can confirm that we do have it easy down here... I live just SE of Houston and bought a Prime 15lb brisket on Monday that's on its way to the smoker this weekend. I must say, IMO, H-E-B is where it's at when it comes to big chain grocery store meat markets. They seem to always have high-quality fresh cuts, as well as a good selection of the vacuum sealed stuff.

My condolences to anyone who doesn't have that luxury. J, it seems that you stocked up so good luck!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the Pit ZCowey ...๐Ÿ‘

• ZCowey
        ZCowey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I planned on making a "Intro" post once I get some pictures of the cook this weekend.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to The Pit.

Yes! Breadhead that for sure is not my Costco in Fountain Valley. I'm gonna give Costco another shot as SWMBO and the kids are out of town. Whoohoo! JGrana great story and pics

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey ... if you are not a Costco member in Southern California you are paying too much for ALL of your meat... beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish!!! Do not hesitate, do not pass go! Do pay the membership fee! You will get it back in savings quickly.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead we have been Costco members for quite some time. I am not as much as a fan as you. Most things I purchase I can buy for less elsewhere or the same. We make very few large purchases. Eggs, milk and coffe etc.. are more expensive there.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Other things are VERY MUCH worth it there. It's just the things we buy and use daily. Oddballs like my glasses, vac seal etc.. oh yes. That's why we keep the membership. I buy chicken and pork for less elsewhere. I'm gonna check the beef again this weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here