Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef back ribs, start to finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef back ribs, start to finish

Back in June I did my first beef back ribs (different from beef short ribs for those who don't know this yet, but similar cooking style)

I smoked them on my Yoder loaded Wichita with apple logs (charcoal to start the fire, Kingsford blue bag) at ~225. I don't remember how long they took exactly but it was close to 4 or 5 hrs, but it all seemed very analogous to doing pork ribs. The exception being I had temp probes in the meat since beef ribs have wider meat to work with. I took them to ~200, then wrapped in foil and brought inside to a faux cambro until dinner. They sat wrapped maybe an hour.

Below is my documentation from start to finish, with pic labels beneath each pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4687.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	3496

Four racks of beef back ribs (minis)

Name:	IMAG4684.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	3497

I removed the membranes on the back just like pork ribs. Meathead says you don;t have to do this with beef short ribs, but I did with these back ribs to make it easier to cut them later. Glad I did. The left one on edge shows the membrane still in tact.

Name:	IMAG4688.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	3498

Dry brined overnight in fridge. Then the morning of the cook, sprayed lightly with PAM on all surfaces and generous coating of Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub

Name:	IMAG4689.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	3499

Here was my view. Thin blue smoke from apple logs. Cooker temp averaging 225. I had two Maverick ET 732s running, one with both probes monitoring warmer & cooler sides of my offset, and the other with two probes in 2 of the 4 racks.

Name:	IMAG4695.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	3500

Finished product, look at that 'sming' (smoke ring)

Name:	IMAG4697.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	3501

Another view. "Macro meat" as Jerod Broussard calls it.

Last edited by Huskee; July 20, 2014, 10:39 PM.

That works.

Comment

Now I can't wait to try them!

Comment

Those look delicious. Are you happy with how much meat is retained after cooking? There doesn't seem to be a ton of shrinkage. The one time I cooked beef backs I wasn't satisfied with the "time invested:meat ratio." There was considerable shrinkage. When I did short ribs, however, I was delighted by how much meat there was.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I was happy. I haven't done short ribs since it's hard to find them where I shop, and these are reasonably priced unlike most beef in my area. Of course, it's half bone so that in effect doubles the price right there... but I was happy. They were chewy, definitely not the texture of pork ribs, but the flavor of gently smoked beef IMO is out of this world.

• Pit Master Apprentice
          Pit Master Apprentice commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm glad they turned out so tasty. Beef ribs are packed with flavor. Where I live, you can easily grab a slab of beef backs, but you have to ask the meat cutter for racks of short ribs, otherwise they hack them up and sell the meat as boneless strips. In terms of price, just about all things beef now is out of control.

Doing these again today, with apple & pecan wood. My only difference is that instead of summer weather outside, it's 45*, very windy. At least the sun is poking through here & there.

Name:	IMAG5495.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	24456

Here's my view currently. The Yod' wants to pump along around 250-255, I had to shut her down a wee bit.
        Red one is the smoker temp, white one is two of my 6 mini racks of beef backs.

Name:	IMAG5499.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	24459

Some fall scenery from my front yard:

Name:	IMAG5497.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	24457
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Man colors coming fast it seems.

And that wind is a bit fright train sounding at times down here.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 8, 2014, 02:34 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, same here. Been a while since we've had that strong of a wind. There goes all our leaves!

That last one looks like a nice shot for the 'Outdoor Pics' thread!! Nice front yard BTW, beautiful trees!

Comment

Thanks cdd! Maybe I'll copy it there....

Comment

Here was tonight's beef ribs and tonight's drink of choice. Dee-licious ribs. If you've ever wanted to try beef ribs, DO THEM, and use BBBR. They are fantastic.

Name:	IMAG5502.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	24601

Name:	IMAG5504.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24602

Comment

This is why I love this site
              Just picked up these little beef ribs from GFS and wasn't sure what to do with them
              ​Thanks Huskee

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here