Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonights Beef Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonights Beef Ribs

My Pitmaster IQ110 arrived earlier today and of course, I was very excited and wanting to do a test cook. At first I was going to just use some old Mesquite charcoal that I had laying around which my wife bought a few months ago before I told her to stick with the Kingsford Blue

Then I remembered that I had some beef ribs in the freezer that I picked up at HEB over the weekend when I bought a pork shoulder. The package was labeled something like "Finger Ribs - Beef" and it was only about $8.00

When I got home, I googled this description and didn't really come up with anything, so I don't really know what they are other than beef ribs that are cheap! We used to get the beef ribs at the State Line restaurant in El Paso when I was kid and that was always one of my favorite special occasion meals.

So, before starting to hook up the IQ110, I set the frozen ribs in my sink in the hottest water I could draw. I know that's not a Meathead approved defrost method, but what else could I do?

Once the IQ was installed (a snap) I added some charcoal and one lump of hickory. I rubbed the ribs down with salt, mustard and Salt Lick rub. I had to fiddle with the settings twice during a four-hour cook, but I am REALLY pleased with the IQs performance. Rather than drill a new hole for the manifold, I removed the propane starter on my Weber performer (since I use a gas grill sideburner) and installed the manifold there.

The meat is "resting" now, but it looks pretty good. Not enough the feed the family but they'll make one hell of an appetizer!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	34929

Looks good Penske! Beef ribs are one of my faves Salting and putting them on frozen I think would have worked too. Doc Blonder does that with briskets .. I can't see why it wouldn't work with ribs too.

Comment

Ahhh my favorite ribs! BEEF!!! They look great Penske!

Comment

looks amazing

Comment

• PenskeFile
          PenskeFile commented
          Editing a comment
          I see what you did there...

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure you're really Penske material.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          "Now, you ARE aware--- "

HEB? Saltlick? You must be in the San Antonio / Austin corridor!

Comment

• PenskeFile
          PenskeFile commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir - just north of Austin in Georgetown. Love my HEB!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I do have fond memories of the HEB by our house when we lived in San Antonio. Central Market was nice too but an hour from our house in the 78258 zipcode. We didn't go to CM often.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here