Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef baby back ribs (yes, beef)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef baby back ribs (yes, beef)

So, I did a new (to me) bbq session with baby back ribs from a cow. That's a novelty to me. I've done beef ribs before, which are larger. This cut comes from when a boneless rib roast is cut out. Since bones are removed, the butcher cut short slabs of beef ribs, see pictures below. They measure about a foot long (12-14 inches), and roughly 4 inches wide. They're thinner (less meat) than I'm used to for beef ribs, which I saw as an interesting challenge.

Let's just skip to the end result right away; these were absolutely superb! Real delicious, proper finger food with great flavor. I went back two days later and bought more to have in the freezer. Here's how to cook them.

I used: Weber kettle with Slow 'N Sear, 5-6 (small) chunks of apple wood. Ran it at around 230° F the whole time.

As with pork ribs, the membrane on the back must be removed first.

Ingredients
    2 slabs of beef baby back ribs, approx 2.9 – 3.1 lbs.
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp smoked paprika powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Here's the raw meat, should give you an indication of size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beef_baby_back_ribs_1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	347527

Start by mixing all the spices into a rub, and apply it to the ribs. Let them rest in the fridge for a few hours before cooking.

Fire up your grill, prepare it for indirect grilling. Have it running at 225° – 230° F. Place the ribs on the grates and close the lid.

Ribs on the grill (slightly different size as you can see)

Name:	beef_baby_back_ribs_2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	347528

After 3 hours I wrapped them in aluminum foil. This is crucial, as they are thin they need to be braised to avoid drying out.
    Cook for another hour wrapped. That is 3 hours + 1 hour. Check meat temp with a thermometer. They're done when they hit 203° F.

Remove them and let them rest in a faux cambro for 45 minutes up to an hour. Now dig in!

The end result, finger lickin' good.

Name:	beef_baby_back_ribs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	347529

You are killing me with all that great beef!!

Comment

Now you're just showing off. Right down to the custom piece under your beautiful finished ribs.
      Very nice.
      And thanks for making me hungry again.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve! That board is made in the US! You do make great stuff. Got a good price on 6 of em. Will
        order more soon.

I love your rib picture. Those rib bones are right outta the Flintstones, brother.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Unknown.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	347554

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Spin, the beef ribs are very photogenic (or however you spell that)

Nice! Given that they're fabrication byproducts (albeit from the priciest part of the animal) they should be relatively inexpensive, right? Cheaper than a bone-in ribeye, more expensive than ribs?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        They're very cheap, which I like :-) cheaper than ribs even.

• dtassinari
        dtassinari commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I dream of a steakhouse that serves these as freebie appetizers when you order an entrecote

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that sounds brilliant!

They look really good.

Comment

Those look great. I did two slabs earlier this year and they were excellent however there is not much meat on them. We did enjoy them though.

Comment

I wouldn't be able to get those to the table. They're cook's portions!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, i had to restrain myself from eating them right away.

Well done!! Those look wonderful.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here