Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast Ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast Ribs.

Just bought a "prime" rib, not so much an actual prime rib, more like a choice or maybe top choice, be there such a thing. And what I've done was to cut the ribs out, and then further broke it down into a set of ribeye's and cap steaks. (Wish I could recall the proper names!)

I was wondering about how long a cook to plan for, when cooking up the ribs alone?

I do have some comments on how that whole process went, but first I really need an answer to that question first. But I will say that my first experience at Butchering 101 was both educational and something I fully intend to give another go!

Oh yes, I have decided to let the Char-Broil 580 go, I'm sure I'll be able to find a local charity who'll take it. So I will be doing the cook on my Weber Kettle Premium with the S'nS. Can't seem to find a use for it, as I don't seem to be able to multi-task well enough to cook side dished and besides, it gives SWMBO something to do. . .

Mike S.

Depends on how much meat you left on those bones. When I do scrap like that I generally can't wait and eat then as soon as they are edible. Perhaps that's just me. I also don't leave much on the bones either.

Comment

I think boy did them once. Nobody got to have any but me. They never made it upstairs. I smoked then like pork ribs but they only took a couple of hours.

Comment

I recall having said that I would add my thoughts on my "butchering job." So, here goes!

That was actually fun! I took a perfectly good prime rib and cut it down to it's component parts. And by that, I mean to say I reduced it to a set of ribs, some ribeye steaks, and a couple of rib cap steaks. And I still had a bag of leftover parts and pieces to make kabobs with.

The interesting part was that rib cap. I wasn't sure how to deal with it, so I folded it in half, then cut it in to little steaks. OK, so maybe that wasn't right, but when I bagged them up for freezing, I put them into the bags 3 at a time. That's when I got what passes for clever and put a couple of bamboo skewers through them lengthwise, and turning them into a single piece of meat and was able to cook them as such. And they were right about this being just about the best cut of beef on the cow!

I will definitely get a good set of pics when I cook the next batch of re-constructed "steaklets." I also did some more research and found that Meathead did in fact cover this treatment of the rib cap in a side bar discussion. So, that was nothing new after all.

The ribeye "extraction" was a little more straight forward, and didn't require any inventiveness. I can say I should NOT have paid so much attention as to the number of steaks that Meathead got out of his video on doing this. Rather I should have settled for a smaller number but over-all larger pieces. I've got to look into getting a larger prime rib roast. MUST GET MORE RIBEYE'S!

And about those ribs that I started with. . . Wish I'd bothered to get some pictures. I really don't want to "document" every thing I cook, but now I wish I had. Again, I'll make a promise to not let that opportunity pass again. The only thing notable about that cook was having it stall for about an hour (@ 154*) and I lost my cool and decided to power thru the stall by letting the grill temp rise on up. That did the trick and I was able to finish the cook, and managed to get the grill temp back down to somewhere near what it should have been.

So, it won't be anytime real soon, but I will be buying another prime rib and doing the whole thing again.

Mike S.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here