Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15.5 lb full packer done in 8.5 hours??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15.5 lb full packer done in 8.5 hours??

Hi, I am a brisket newbie. This is only my second brisket smoke.

My 15.5 lb full packer just got done in 8.5 hrs!!! What the heck???? It was a USDA Prime from Costco, lightly trimmed, injected with Butcher BBQ. I'm using a GMG Jim Bowie pellet smoker at 225. I gave myself 18 hrs to be on the safe side for this smoke and was planning to crutch. Never got that far, I fired it up last night and was expecting it to have to get up early and crutch but it never stalled. At 5:30am it was at 203! I probed in a number of places with my temp probe and it was going in like butter. Only thing I can think of is maybe the grill temp control is waaaaay off and I actually cooked at a much higher temp? Or was it the injection? (First time I ever tried injecting). I have it in a faux cambro right now but I was planning to serve for early dinner. Any idea how to keep this hot (or reheat) for 10 hours? Incidentally I tasted a wee bite from the point and flat ends, it was delicious Oh and Happy 4th of July to everyone! I am a new member of the PitMaster club (long overdue). AmazingRibs.com is my smoking bible, I never do a smoke without reading up first, even after years of smoking. Thanks Meathead, you are awesome!

Michael-

Welcome to the Pit! Very nice to meet you.

First, how many cooks on the GMG? I've started to notice a build up on my temperature probe after less than a dozen cooks. That may provide enough insulation that you are actually cooking hotter than you expected.

Second, if you can, watch temperatures internal to the brisket while in Cambro. Keep the Brisket tightly wrapped, then after about 4-hours, or if the IT drops to between 140-150, move it to a warming oven (no hotter than about 170F). You may have to crack the oven door open.

Finally, don't unwrap and slice until you are ready to serve. Save the juices from the wrap and pour back over the slices when you serve. It will be great!

Have fun and eat good food.

Comment

I've kept brisket wrapped and blanketed in a warming oven at 170 for as long as 6 hours before and it worked out fine. Never tried longer because I haven't needed to but I would agree with kmhfive.... keep it in the warming oven and keep an eye on the internal temp.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions! I have about a dozen or so cooks on the GMG. Planning to check the temp probe once I get a few more cups of coffee in me. I currently have the brisket foiled and towel wrapped in a Yeti 35, so it should keep for a good 4-5 hrs. I was thinking of just firing up the GMG to about 165-170 later today and pop the foiled wrapped brisket back on.
        Not sure for how long. 2 hrs or so? Too much?

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. I think either your GMG or the oven as suggested above will work well. You might be eating a bit earlier than planned.

Comment

At this point I'd just use the oven unless you need it for something else. The key is to keep the brisket in the 140/150 temp range. I think an oven is better since you can turn off and retain heat if needed. The pellet grill won't do that.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I think your Yeti might just do the job, but if the temp drops to around 150*, I would put it in your oven set as low as it will go, (my oven's min temp is 170*).

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
                Enjoy that Prime Brisket!!!

Comment

Huntington Beach welcomes you! Michael B sounds like you are good. kmhfive hooked you up along with the rest.

My suggestion, enjoy the beer and Cheetos with the extra time you have.

Comment

Welcome MichaelW

Comment

My suggestion, enjoy the beer and Cheetos with the extra time you have.
                      Mmmmmm, I could do that Pushing dinner up to 4pm.

It dropped down to about 150 after 4 hours in the Yeti. It's foiled and transferred to the oven at 170 right now.

I have no idea what to expect after holding so long. I hope it's not pot roast...

Comment

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It will be BBQ and it will be great.

Welcome to the Pit! You are already getting great advice.

Comment

Welcome aboard, from sunny Florida.

Comment

It will be BBQ and it will be great.
                          HAH, well it is and it WAS!

The point came out perfect. The thinner end of the flat was starting to get a bit crumbly and pot roasty.

All in all it was SUPER tasty.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

M-

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-04 15.49.01.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	342574Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-04 15.56.01.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	342575

Comment

• kmhfive
                            kmhfive commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looks awfully tasty! I just ate, but I'm starting to get hungry!

See???
                          Ya' Rock!!! Great lookin' Brisky!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here