Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time brisket-er with a doneness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time brisket-er with a doneness question

So I'm doing my first brisket tomorrow . . . it's about a 3 lb flat. Been dry brining since last night. I've read a ton of helpful info on this site (thanks, all!) but have one last question. I'm planning on wrapping it in foil at about 170 to get through the stall, and starting to check for doneness around 195. But if my meat is all wrapped up in foil how do I do the probe method of checking for doneness? Do I just unwrap the meat at around 195 and leave it unwrapped until done? Or do I re-wrap it every time I check? Thanks in advance for your help!

So, I suspect you will reach the stall before 170F. However wrapping once you get a good bark (after the stall, typically) you'll find temperatures between 170 and 180, so not a bad idea. Don't unwrap until after your Cambro-rest. You can check for probe tender poking through the wrap. To prevent too many holes in the wrap, you'll need to be judicious in your testing and try to close as much of the hole as possible by smoothing with a gloved hand. I'd probably use some version of the "wobble" test prior to poking holes in the wrap.

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
      Brisket Syndicate commented
      Editing a comment
      This^^^, but I usually pan my briskets. That way I don't have to probe through the foil.

I wrap mine so I can easily unfold some foil from the top and expose enough meat to check with a probe.

Comment

Thank you both! And KMHfive, thanks for clarifying that the wrapping is after the bark . . . since that's my favorite part I wouldn't want to miss that!

Comment

170-180 is a good time to wrap IMO too, and I agree with kmhfive.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here