Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stepping to the beef side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepping to the beef side

I've been running a Masterbuilt electric 30" analog smoker for a couple of years. I love it. I had to replace the burner, but the universal one I got must be a higher wattage because it's easier to get to and keep temp than it ever was. I've learned a lot from this site and have made the best ribs and pulled pork ever using Meathead's Memphis dust and his Last Meal rib recipe. My wife 'didn't' like pulled pork until she tasted some I smoked last year. She'd a fan of this site now also.

So, I'm in Memphis and it's almost illegal to use any beef except steaks or hamburgers. I just picked up a 9lb flat to put on the smoker early on the 4th. My biggest question is about dry brining...and this even applies to my pork too.

Can you dry brine too long? Since I have the brisket, I could trim and salt it today. So it would be 36 hrs +-. Is that too long? Can you dry brine too long for brisket or pork? I also plan on injecting with some beef broth...so same question. Can you inject too early or does it make a difference?

I'm ready for sliced brisket already!!!!

I don't think you can dry brine too long. It will take in salt until it hits an equilibrium point, then won't take any more. So you can do it early.

Comment

You can add too much salt and "cure" the meat, but EdF is right, time will just result in an even distribution of the salt. 36-hours is fine.

Comment

Awesome...I did the yard yesterday and it's too hot and humid to do anything else today, so I guess I'll go ahead and trim and salt.

Comment

Droopie, droopie, droopie, where are your priorities?

Comment

I just did a packer last Friday, with no small help from the Pit Crew. Dried brined for 2 days, then injected and rubbed while the smoker was heating up. It got rave reviews from the consumers, and the cook was very happy with the results as well.

Comment

The thicker the meat, the longer it should be dry brined. For brisket, I shoot for a minimum of 48 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here