Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse searing ribeyes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse searing ribeyes.

Hello everone,Ive tried RS my steaks with mostly great results.Weather being bad i use the oven/frying pan method.Before i would pull it around 85 - 90 IN.Then do the rear till shes around 125-130.Then i came across this site on RS steaks. http://jesspryles.com/how-to-cook-a-...ethod/---Sorry hope that link works.My main question is in her article she got the internal to the prefered IN.Then she foiled it and let it rest for 10 minutes.The hot pan for 1 minute each side.

Heres my concern If she got the steaks to the perfect IN then seared it wouldnt that overcook the steaks way past the desired temp.Or does resting them for 10 mintues get it to the sweet spot to finish searing at 130 for me in the case.

My method is get it to 85 -90 then sear it on all sides -most time i get it spot on.Oven to pan no rest .So i hope i explained it right.Thoughts-your way-version-method on RS.Thanks everyone.Im getting better but not quite on the money.

Well, you know what works for you already, so probably no reason to mess with it. I'm a bit skeptical about the technique the author gave (but I didn't read the link).

Comment

The linky-poo is dead for me, but for all the years I have been reverse searing large rib-eye, or cowboy steaks, I use what this link probably described. I bring it to just about 128 ish, tent with foil while I am letting the coals get to a ripping temp, then sear them off. My finished temp is right around 130-131 or so. (2" cowboys) This is all VERY subjective though. Every steak is different, different thickness, etc. It's something you learn to do, and learn to do the way you like. What you are doing now works for you. I would try this method though, but remember, the thinner the steak matters to the amount of carry-over heat you will get. You get very little carry-over heat from a thin cut, (1.5").

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	340401

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        I think what lonnie mac said is right on. Practice until you know what the steak will do, carry-over wise and make one adjustment at a time.

BTW, love the SnS in the WSCG! I got MCS creeping in!

If you are happy with your current method, why change? However, here is a link to Adrenaline BBQ's reverse sear video. It produces the best steaks I have made:

Comment

I guess it kinda depends on your input method. If I was pan searing indoors i would probably want a little wiggle room because if I blast the steak with too much heat it gets a little smoky. The advantage of cooking it almost to temp and resting is that you know how cooked it is inside. Like shocking in ice when sous vide cooking. Which is the origin of reverse searing. But you get a big advantage in crust development when you use hot air to reverse sear since you dry the outside out so well. So your bringing it down and just focusing on getting as much crust as your can. If you rest your giving yourself some wiggle room. Indoors I almost always shallow fry my steak watching the temperature of the oil to keep the smoke down. If your only cooking one steak it's pretty easy to just sear both sides a little then butter bast the top and bring everything to temp while you cook the inside.
        http://www.cooksscience.com/recipes/...rib-eye-steak/ practice every different, way it's tough eating all that steak but you'll manage.

Comment

I've learned the RS from this site and my wife asked me Sat night why all the steaks I have cooked in the last year are so delicious. I didn't tell her the truth...I told her because I am awesome! haha. Anyway, she's a well done kinda girl. So I put her steaks on before mine and let them get to about 95-100 before I put mine on. When hers are at about 145 i crank a burner up and sear them til they are well done, then I sear mine. I am looking for 135-140ish depending on the steak. I have been surprised by how flavorful and tender this method makes steaks. I usually put some kosher salt on for a few hours, then coarse black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and then sometimes a guest spice. Maybe smoked paprika, chili powder, ancho powder or maybe even some mustard powder.

I guess I should tell her the truth...this site is what is AWESOME!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Bask in the glory while it lasts!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like ya' been doin' a fine job, fer over a year, accordin' to th' Missus...
            So, please , don't underestimate yer Awesomeness!!!!!

Interesting question. I picked up some nice 2" thick ribeyes at Aldi, of all places, a couple of days ago and did the reverse sear with McCormick Montreal steak seasoning. SWMBO was in charge of the sides and was running behind our projected ETA for the steaks, so I just lifted the Weber kettle lid at 120 IT and kind of treaded water for about 10 minutes until time to sear. It still worked out fine in the end. The wife and kids proclaimed it excellent, so I'm good with that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here