Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yesterday's brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday's brisket.

Did a 10.5 hour 225°+ on a 10lb brisket on the 22" Weber with the SnS. Special Ops rub with dry brine before. Everything was going along fine until it hit the stall at 171°. Wrapped it for four hours in foil, took it out again and tried upping the heat to 250° trying to get it up to 203°. It would not get past 185° so I took it off and found it dry, not too tender, but tasted great. It may have been that the brisket was frozen beforehand. I thawed it out for 2 days in the fridge (at least I thought it was thawed.) Any ideas what I screwed up on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	339412Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	339413

Not too tender would be undercooked.

I hate wrapping early and then trying to bark up later. Allow for a 15 hour cook. Wrap after you get it barked up. That will ensure tenderness and achieving a 200+ internal.

I always hold 2+ hours after the cook.

Comment

I agree with Jerod.

Also, make sure you check your Thermos too!

Comment

You should have kept it wrap until it reach 203 or probe tender. When you unwrapped it and put it back on you allow the meat to cool.

Comment

I agree with all that's been said. Wrap after you're happy with the bark, then keep it wrapped the rest of the cook. When I cook a select I go 3-4 hours in the faux cambro.

Comment

Agree with the rest. Keep it wrapped until your target temp. Then let it rest for at least a couple hours in cambro

Comment

Thanks guys. I knew all of you would have the answer. On smaller briskets I never had this problem. After four hours of being wrapped and no appreciable temp increase I thought I should take it out of the foil. I guess I sent it into another stall. Might be time for a PBC.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Now your talking!........or a KBQ!

Spinaker Don't know if the budget will allow The KBQ for a while yet, but it looks like a very well made smoker,

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                There's always next birthday!

I'm a par brisket cooker. My brisket is delicious and excellent tasting and I work magic in the kitchen with any remaining but the tru nail has he's been less often. I attribute that to the quality of meat I buy and the "finickyness of Cheap meat" I buy for brisket. With that being said the temp issues above are spot on. Pit people are really good.,the cheaper the cut the less margin of error and you really have to nail it. Trust me on that one.

Comment

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe you. This brisket was a Choice from Costco. I had it in the freezer for about two months prior. Maybe I'll stick to chuckies and pork butts. Those seem to work all the time. Lol.

NortheastAl it took me some time to nail a brisket. I believe repetition is the key here and the variables will kill you/me. I made a ton of them but as I said above..... stick the the same set of variables and quality meat ( I say that as nhave not) and you will get it.

Comment

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                This makes a lot of sense. What threw me is that I had done them successfully before. Thanks for the tip.

NortheastAl Did you buy just the choice flat? If so, next time you are at CostCo, go look at the packer briskets. You can harvest a PRIME flat from the packer for much cheaper than buying a choice flat. They price the flats at my Costco at about $5.79/lb. You can buy a whole packer for about $2.89/lb. If you harvest the flat, then you also get the best part of a brisket, The Point! Win-Win in my book!
              Just an FYI

Comment

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Spinaker. I wish our Costco would sell prime brisket or packers. They only carry choice flats. I think that's how it is for most of the Costco stores on the east coast.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, I can not buy Prime packer at $2.89. Thats what I pay for a "no roll."

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Shucks man. Sorry to hear that. NortheastAl

Injecting the flat may also help with "dry".

Comment

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                This sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I already have an injector. Thanks.

Question: Is the special ops rub the same as black ops? The reason I ask is that I made the mistake of dry brining a day or two before and then using the black ops rub. OE on my part as black ops has plenty of salt in it already. I didn't read the ingredients beforehand although MH suggests that one should. I ended up with a very salty end product.

Comment

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know about the Special Ops, but the Black Ops I have is not that salty at all. I tasted it before I used it and it seemed like the paprika and other herbs dominated. I dry brined this brisket and it wasn't salty after smoking. Taste the Black Ops out of the container to see if it is salty.

• rodkeary
                rodkeary commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the taste test as you suggested and detected a very slight salty taste. Sea salt is listed first on the ingredient list. I probably used too much kosher on the dry brine.

• NortheastAl
                NortheastAl commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes I find something needs salt and everyone else says it's salty enough, or vice verse. I have overdone the dry brine myself. I use much less than the recommended half tsp per pound.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here