Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits of faux cambro versus "holding meat at temp"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of faux cambro versus "holding meat at temp"

I'm cooking a chuck tomorrow, and I read on AR that once it reaches probe tenderness (let's say for this topic it's 205), then I should hold the chuck at 205 for an hour or two before putting it in faux cambro for another two hours. Would it be just as effective to keep the chuck at 205 for the whole four hours, and then just eat it?

Basically, I'm asking if there are different benefits of the two, so that doing both will make for the best BBQ.

Thanks!

I think what was meant was either a low oven or a Faux Cambro. I prefer the Cambro as most ovens do not hold low temps very well. I think it's just better that way, as the meat comes down that's like a little spa teatment before the dance. IMHO
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 24, 2017, 03:00 PM. Reason: SPELLING OF COURSE!

Comment

For PULLED chuck I want it high and I prefer a 200 degree oven for some time then I'll drop it down to 170.

Comment

Assuming you got there "low & slow", once it's probe tender in the 205 ballpark, another couple hours in a faux cambro (or very low oven) will make it a little more "pullable". You could hold it as long as 4 hours but certainly don't need to. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Comment

Way I see it, same difference, if ya' will.
            Keepin' th' food item at X°F temp, fer X amount of time,is th' goal.
            Many ways to accomplish that, as previous stated...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 24, 2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

If you are wrapping in both cases it probably makes little difference, but if you are holding temp unwrapped I think you run the risk of drying out your meat.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                What he said.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                True Dat. Wrap that Rascal!!
                Keep you dem juices...

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
              If you are wrapping in both cases it probably makes little difference, but if you are holding temp unwrapped I think you run the risk of drying out your meat.
              LA Pork Butt Will definitely wrap the chuckie. I'm also cooking some short ribs for the first time. Should I wrap those once the bark has set? Thanks.

Comment

Smoking77 I have done short ribs a few time, but have never wrapped any kind of ribs. However, if you have to hold them before serving I think the same principle applies- unwrapped they will dry out. Of course, wrapping will soften the bark some, but I don't think that will hurt things. The few times I cooked short ribs I think the bark could have used a little softening. That's a great idea to try the next time I cook short ribs. Keep me posted.

Comment

• Smoking77
                  Smoking77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will do! Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here