Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I said, at work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, through the miracle of time, we have edible meteorites!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	337575

Comment

A couple notes about doing split flats and points:

This went on at about 11:30PM, pit temp 240* both top and bottom, top monitored by Smoke and bottom controlled by DigiQ. It is now 8:30AM. The point is at 193 and probing like butter. It took about 9 hours. Actually it was at 193 when my alarm went off at 7:30, so let's call it 8-9 hours. The flat is at 183* and will probably take another couple hours.

That covers two reasons I like splitting these. First, they get done faster. I can put them on at the beginning of the day and they'll be done by dinner time, or I can put them on before bed and they'll be done when I get up. Second, these just plain cook differently. The point is smaller and fattier, and it gets done quicker. So pull and wrap the point, and let the flat hang until it's ready.

I don't wrap in paper or foil during the cook. The only reason I have is that my briskets have always come out really good without doing that. I have never done it, so I can't compare, but I think it has to do with the separating, again: wrapping might help balance the cooking between the thick section and the thin section. But that can be someone else's experiment, I'm having brisket and eggs for breakfast.
      Last edited by Mosca; June 25, 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You and I smoke our Briskets exactly the same, with the same grates... except I cook at 225°.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the temperature to adjust the cook time. If I want to take the meat off sooner, I go higher; if I want to take it off later, I go lower. I set my high and low alarms for 225 and 275.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes perfect sense to me.👍

Man oh man Mosca that looks sooooooo good.
      What a great breakfast. Excellent job my brother.

Comment

What a great way to start yer Sunday!!! Yum!!!
        Thanks fer sharin'!

Comment

The flat was done at about 10:15AM, temp was 203.

These briskets are are insanely good. I got this one in December when they were BOGO. So, also a pretty decent bargain!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I almost went for the BOGO spinalis, but then I canceled because for some reason I didn't think I deserved to spend even that much. This will come back.

Mmmmmmmm... Looks wonderful !!! Great plan for breakfast too

Comment

This brisket is truly outstanding. Sides are Syracuse salt potatoes and Caprese tomatoes.

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	337847

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	337848

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              I am going to have to try some of those fancy maters.

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

I'm jealous anytime I say I'm gunna grill or smoke lunch my guys will bring sides but there all store bought. Not a cook among them. One time I said I am doing burgers tomorrow can you bring lettuce and tomatoes? The response I got was I guess I can get my mom to do it. Sad I know. But good looking brisket.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Everyone came through but Kyle, but since he was depending on his gf for the cookies I'll let him off the hook. Dawn brought some killer beans and Mike's potato salad was top notch. We got a pretty good crew going for us.

Too bad it didn't work in reverse:
              You "I'm bringing in cookies."
              Him "Well, we'll need some other food, I'll bring beans"
              Her "I'll bring potato salad"
              Him "I'll bring brisket"

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, but where's the fun in smoking cookies?!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here