Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

45 Day Dry Aged Ribeye Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45 Day Dry Aged Ribeye Roast

I went to Sam's to get a hunk of meat to make jerky. While I was waiting for him to come out of the back, I noticed a huge hunk of meat behind me. It was a choice boneless ribeye roast. Not sure what I was going to do with it, I brought it home. A $150 impulse buy.

Day 1. Out of the package, onto a rack, on a cookie sheet. Don't pierce it, poke it, salt it, or trim it. Onto the rack she goes...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3930.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	333410

...and into the outside fridge next to the soda. I just put it in there and left it alone. These are around day 30.

Name:	IMG_3935.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	333409
    Still day 30

Name:	IMG_3956.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	333413Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3957.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	333414Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3958.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	333411

The outside of this hunk of meat is pretty hard at this point. Very dry and hard on the outside. Some fat has settled on the surface of this hunk of beef.

Here we are on day 45:

Name:	IMG_3977.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	333415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	333412

Name:	45 days.png
Views:	129
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	333407

A very sad, shriveled version of its former self. This is where my photojournalism stills broke down a bit as I hacked away at the rind on this thing. She was much lighter than at first, and felt very strange to handle. Stiff like it was frozen, and only a little easier to cut. I used every knife in my block, and ultimately I think an electric knife would have saved me some effort in cutting off the outside. You just keep cutting until you see something that looks red. I have to admit there was a moment when I thought I may have just wasted $150 on what amounted to the worlds biggest piece of jerky. But I eventually hit paydirt.

After hacking away the outer crust, the inside is a bright beautiful red. Click image for larger version

Name:	aged steak.png
Views:	79
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	333408

I don't often spring for the dry aged beef as I like the fresh stuff plenty. I cannot say I have eaten enough dry aged steak elsewhere to say how these compare. I will say that they have a deeper, richer, almost earthier taste? Extremely delicate meat with a good bite a better chew. Not a single hard to chew bit, or chewed and discarded grizzle on the edge of anyone's plate.

Name:	IMG_3955.JPG
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	333416

Name:	IMG_3954.JPG
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	333417

If you've got the fridge space, I highly encourage you to give this a shot.

Absolutely beautiful!

Comment

You sir, seriously have my attention! That looks amazing. That's about a 20%-23% weight loss??? That cook looks perfect. Was that a kettle cook? Nice marks so something was pretty hot. Yum.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful! Really cool to see, thanks for sharing!

Comment

A great lookin' hunk o' meat!

One thought though. It might have been easier to slice it into steaks and then trim off the jerky.

Comment

cutting into steaks and then trimming was easier in the end. I had some fantasy about being able to cut nice clean steaks with almost single strokes of my knife after after I shed the rind. The second roast I did as you described, which was easier, but the faces of my steaks weren't as clean. Either way it works out but skinning the roast first was more difficult for sure.

Comment

That's beautiful. I did my first dry-aging on a prime rib roast last month, using the Umai bags. My wife insisted on 35 days instead of my preference for 45 (next time). Came out great! But I need to get another one in the fridge.

I found a boning/filet knife worked really well for taking off the "bark", which we used for stock. I also was not aggressive about removing it, because it's delicious on the steak. Just got the hard parts off. Dogs were converted to my meat minions that day - been missing one of those since the old guy died a couple of years ago.

Name:	20170514_163556.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	333633Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_162917.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	333634Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_204455.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	333635Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_163211.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	333636

Comment

Dang I bought a device that had fans to circulate the air, a uv light to kill bad bacteria and smell and a separate fan to control the humidity inside said device. you just plop yours in a drink fridge and it comes out 10 times better looking than mine!! I always overthink things good for you!! Great looking end product!!!

Comment

Looks great EdF, and helpful for comparison. I can see some big differences using the bag.

If the ziplock bag represents the entirety of your trimmings, I'd say you had a lot less waste then me. I had quite a scrap pile, and didn't even consider using it for much of anything. I just figgered it was throw away. Fido will be very happy when the next one comes out. It also looks as though your steaks are more moist than mine. I would be curious to do a side by side aging comparison with the bag and without to measure moisture loss, waste, and most importantly, taste. I'd be curious if there is a taste difference at all. If the moisture loss isn't as great with the bag, then according to one theory I read, the "beefiness" isn't as concentrated. I can't say that when I ate mine I lost my hat and said "Dang, that's super beefy". I just thought it tasted super good.

On the other hand, I lost almost all of the delicious outer ring on the ribeye. And lets be real, that's the reason we buy ribeyes. Take that little strip, and throw away the rest of the cow. So if using a bag results in in say, only 80% of the full on beefy flavor vs no bag, but I get 100% more of that awesome strip, then thats a compelling argument in favor of the bag.

I might have to do a comparison for myself.

One thing that I will say that I think will help everyone with their wives is that there was no smell at all. At least, not that I could detect. My wife said the same thing. It's unsightly if a guest goes to put their bayou goo pie into the fridge and sees a giant scab of a roast 35 days in, so outside fridge it goes. But as for smell, if everything is going as it should, is a non-issue. If anything, it smelled almost nutty.

Comment

Having the opportunity to compare notes is great!

Yeah, that bag was what I got for trimmings, including the bones, but excepting the minion training. I had read on the Umai website that their "expert" said "Don't toss that stuff - it's one of the main reasons for doing this". And then gave a bunch of suggestions for using it, like stock. Another guy put it on his grill for "jerky". I had a small section with a bit of white mold spotting on it that went in the trash, but it wasn't much.

As far as weight loss, the wife remarked about it (saying, aren't you wasting money - before she ate some), but I hadn't recorded the original so I can't really say. It was pretty dry relative to fresh, but I only did 35 days. Flavor was great, but not as far changed as I had hoped. "Nutty" is a good word for it. And it was super-good, definitely stronger beef flavor. Major improvement in tenderness - you could see there wasn't a whole lot of marbling.

Yeah, I'm really into that thin piece and I was very happy that it got the brunt of the drying.

It'll cost you less than $30 for three of the bags big enough hold in a bone-in ribeye, and about $5 less for three that will hold boned. Well worth the comparison.

Same observation on smell - none worth talking about, mild nuttiness. Outside fridge here too, with spousal approval. But that's what it's for: stuff that won't easily fit inside!

Nice talking!
                    Last edited by EdF; June 17, 2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here