Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does @ABCBBQ DAVE know about reverse searing a ribeye using a cold grate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does @ABCBBQ DAVE know about reverse searing a ribeye using a cold grate?

Why EVERYTHING, of course!

Over the weekend, I stumbled across yet another video about reverse searing a steak. I was about to keep on cruising until the words "Cold Grate Technique" in the title drew my attention. I never heard of such a critter. Oh well, might as well see what they were talking about.

Opening the video, I was first impressed that it was an Adrenaline BBQ Company video. They’re always good. As the video started, who walked into the kitchen, but our own Pit Boss, Emeritus… David Parrish , the inventor of the Smoke n Sear. Now, they’ve got my full attention.

I’ve been using Sous Vide to cook ribeyes just fine since last winter, using a screaming fire in the SnS to finish those "perfect grill marks". However, watching Dave began to make me think. After the third viewing, I was convinced that I need to give this a try on Monday.

I won’t bore you with my explanation, rather will let Dave do the talking. Here’s the video link…

Monday morning is a bad time to try to find thicker ribeyes, and the best I could do were a couple that were barely and inch-and-a-half thick, but they’d do fine. I followed Dave’s technique to the letter. Here are some pics…

Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	410.5 KB ID:	332376
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	559.8 KB ID:	332377
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	381.7 KB ID:	332378
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	387.1 KB ID:	332379
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	536.3 KB ID:	332380Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	490.2 KB ID:	332381
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	556.2 KB ID:	332382
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	483.1 KB ID:	332383

Click image for larger version  Name:	NUMBER 9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	440.3 KB ID:	332384

Many thanks to David Parrish and his team. They didn't invent the Kettle. They just made it better.

They did make it better! Tried it the first day that vid came out, simply marvelous. Great, meticulous, step by step you did with the operation! 👍👍👍
    Oh, & proof, the sear! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	332419
    Last edited by FireMan; June 13, 2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead would be proud of that fire.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that's my kind of sear. Fast and furious.👌 If you have some beef love on the steak that big fire will give you a nice crust quickly, without over cooking the interior of your steak. I put the freshly ground pepper on after the sear though. Meathead says the pepper will burn off during searing.

Brings a tear to my eye…

'Cause I ain't got me any ribeyes to try this with!!!

looks wonderful! Enjoy great food.

Comment

Great-looking cook, Lowjiber . I can almost smell those sizzling steaks.

I've tried this Cold Grate method with the Low Profile SnS and DnG on the WSCGS. Best steaks that ever came off that grill, and I've tried a lot with the WSCGC before I got the SnS. That SnS is a searing machine.

It's worth the investment to get the LP SnS+DnG for the WSCGC if nothing else but for the reverse sear ( including Dave's cold grate method for steaks) and 2 zone cooking alone. It's so much simpler and the cooks are way more predictable than using just a pile of coals on the lower grate like Weber recommends or Weber's (rather puny) charcoal baskets. And it's fun to also have the added bonus of using it for smoking when I don't want to go kamado with the Weber.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 13, 2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Very nicely done, Sir!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That's been my go to method for steaks since the video came out. Best. Steaks. Ever.

Comment

Going to have to adapt for the Genesis and the sous vide. I can see it coming, but my GrillGrates won't be happy.

Comment

I'm cooking up a ribeye tomorrow, gas and sous vide style. As much as I think the steaks in the video look great, the value of the cold grate is lost on me. However I can get behind drying off the steak before the sear. Usually I take the sous vide bag out to the grill, open her up, and straight on the grill it goes. The fire is so hot I'm fairly certain any amount of liquid that hits the grill either falls into the grill or is flash vaporized. But I'll give anything a try once.

I just don't get why grill marks are ever bad. If the whole steak is seared, but ALSO has grill marks, isnt that just extra gooder?

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does it matter in the end?

• Mike Nilsen
                  Mike Nilsen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Matter of taste I suppose. My tongue likes the taste of perpendicular char marks. lol

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead's theory is that the dark marks left by the Maillard reaction is the tastiest part of the surface of the steak. Why only have 20% of it with that added flavor. Mike... the water left on your steak out of the SV bag creates steam. Plus not applying some oil, beef love, limits the searing.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here