Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye Cap Steak. Best ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye Cap Steak. Best ever

So I should have come here first and did some research but I was too hungry. I screwed up the steaks and they still turned out to be the best steaks I ever had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170609_190102.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	330688

I thought that the rolled up Costco Ribeye Cap Steaks could be grilled as one unit wrapped with the string. But my thermapen proved that the two pieces of meat cook at different rates. Should have removed the string and cooked em separately. My grill was too hot 600+ on the hot side (I wanted to get a good sear so I put more lit charcoal on the direct heat end of the Weber Kettle which means it may have been 400-500 on the indirect side) and u think this was the main problem.

Regardless, it turned out to be the best steak I've ever tasted. Perfect medium rare in the middle, medium to medium well on the outside but still very very very very tasty. Easily the best steak I've ever eaten even though I screwed up the seat and over cooked one of the pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170609_214008.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	330689

Next time I'll separate them from the cooking twine, reverse sear them. Do my normal amount of charcoal for the direct side, then if I want a super awesome sear put more lit coals in before I sear them.

Or get a slow and sear....

Beautiful!

Comment

Hmmm... I say keep them wrapped!

Comment

I have gotten them two times so far from Costco. Unrolled them once and cooked and the other just left them rolled up & tied with the string. Both ways came out great!
        Last edited by Omega-Man; June 10, 2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

They are a fantastic steaks but they can be a bit expensive. If you like the way they turned out, go to a local butcher and ask for a hanger steak. If it's a fresh cut, let it age a bit in the fridge. Prep it the same way you did this. You will be surprised that they have a similar texture and bite with the hanger steak being just a bit "beefier" in flavor. Ps - the photos don't look like you screwed anything up. Delicious looking.
          Last edited by tbob4; June 10, 2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Well, it sure looks good to me! Keep at it, practice makes perfect. And if you haven't had hanger steaks (like tbob4 suggests) then give it a try. It is one of my favorite cuts on the animal, with beefier flavor.

Comment

I agree that the picture looks wonderful. Enjoy good food!

Comment

Hey, if you screw those up again like this, I'm willing to come over and eat 'em for ya.

Comment

Looks great. I think you did right to keep it tied together. Probably easier to get the medium rare than if you separated and cooked as smaller pieces.

Comment

If I could get my hands on some of that, I'd SV to medium rare and do the Weber Chimney sear. Times like these, a drool-proof keyboard is a godsend.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's exactly how I would cook that meat too...👍 A charcoal starter is the best searing device for small cut of meat. I sear my tri-tips on mine.

If my done right steaks look as great as your screwed up one then I have been completely successful.

I really think you are trolling on this one as the steaks really look good!!

Comment

Those look great to me, Fine Job, sez I!!!

Comment

They look delicious !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here