Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking time estimates for beef short plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking time estimates for beef short plate

I know "done" is a measure of temperature, but I'm trying to figure about when to start.

I asked my wife to pick up 8lb of beef short plate, what she brought home was 4x 2lb short plate packages.

I figure it will reach done a lot sooner then the 8-10 hours listed on page 257 of Meathead.

is there any rule of thumb for adjusting start time if I want them for dinner instead of lunch?

I recommend shooting for 6 hours at 225-250. I generally shoot for brisket temps with plate ribs (instant read thermometer) and spritz with apple juice to keep it moist unless you're using a water smoker.

The goal should be low and slow until you can't resist it any longer :-)

Good luck and please post pics. Beef plate ribs are some of the best eating on a cow ...

Comment

Actually, "done" is more a function of when they will offer almost zero resistance to your temp probe rather than what the probe reads for temp... Enjoy!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant... the internal cooking temperature is just a guideline. Probe tenderness is the Holy Grail of when it's done!!!

Budget for 6 hours minimum. Go for probe tender rather than internal temperature.

Comment

A few things:

I would say 6 hours if you cut the plate into individual ribs.

For a plate, i would say 6 hours only if cooking above 275. Anything less than that and I would say 8 hours minimum.

Depending how fatty/marbled they are, cook at a higher temp if possible (275+), it will help render that fat and speed up cook time!

Big Bad Beef Rub is killer on Short Ribs. If you're using commercial rub try Meat Church Holy Cow

Comment

Welcome BladeFireLight

Comment

Well this is interesting. I opened the package up and it was not short plate but short ribs. I started a dry brine a few hours ago. I expect this will be an even shorter smoke time.
            I will post pictures when I go to add the rub.

Comment

BladeFireLight, I missed Welcoming You to "The Pit"! My thanks to DWCowles for the Tip!
              You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ University! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
              Enjoy "The Pit"! Please Post Pic's of Your Beef Ribs!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, pics! Darn I'm hungry now. How the weather in ND?
                Last edited by HouseHomey; June 7, 2017, 07:38 AM. Reason: Wrong Dakota.

ND?
              I'm in Nebraska, and I forgot to take before pics.
              it's sunny and 77, hi should be 84. Sun is gong to be clearing the house in an hour, probably going to make temp control harder than it is.

Comment

A little ice water and a good book. Hopefully I can keep the temp in range
                Attached Files

Comment

I have a gas smoker and found that I can control the temps better if I adjust the flame using the space between high and off. My smoker dial is "off" at the 12 o'clock position, high at the 9 o'clock, and low at 6/3 o'clock (can't remember 100%). The space between 9 and 12 o'clock can be used once it is lit to fine tune lower temps. You may already know this, but others may not, and what is the Pit but a place to share lessons learned.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                    Actually, "done" is more a function of when they will offer almost zero resistance to your temp probe rather than what the probe reads for temp... Enjoy!
                    define zero resistance. I was planing on hitting the chef temp for ribs of 203

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Probe slides in like you were sticking it into a warm stick of butter (aka "buttah").

Originally posted by Nathaniel Schmidt View Post
                    I have a gas smoker and found that I can control the temps better if I adjust the flame using the space between high and off. My smoker dial is "off" at the 12 o'clock position, high at the 9 o'clock, and low at 6/3 o'clock (can't remember 100%). The space between 9 and 12 o'clock can be used once it is lit to fine tune lower temps. You may already know this, but others may not, and what is the Pit but a place to share lessons learned.
                    ok temps started climbing as the day got hoter. I tried your trick on my master built 30 and I do have greater control. Thanks

Comment

• Gooner-que
                      Gooner-que commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad it worked out for you! Another great example of why the Pit is the BEST!

I got compliments from the wife.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                      Pirate Scott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks Delicious

These look great! I have 4 individual short ribs on now ... hoping they turn out like yours 😀

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here