Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about a Monster Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a Monster Brisket

Hello Fellow Followers of Meathead,

I have not yet smoked a brisket.

Here's my history since I'm new to the forum:
    I've done ribs numerous times. (Including one time when I made a bunch for the people I supervise for cost of meat so we could eat awesomely without spending an arm and a leg: http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com/2017...-my-employees/ ) This winter I made Pork shoulder (http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com/2017...q-pulled-pork/ ) and I made it again recently (but haven't posted about that because I'm very behind. Spoiler: It came out even better than the first time! My wife loved it this time rather than hating the bark like she did the first time. For mother's day I did a Prime Rib for my mom (and the whole fam) and following Meathead's instructions - once again perfection! (Haven't uploaded those photos yet either)

So, here in Maryland it's actually pretty hard to get whole packer brisket outside of going to a butcher. Wegmans doesn't have it, Costco doesn't have it, etc. But last week Costco DID have it (apparently they're running a trial in their non-midwest markets to see if there's a customer base for it). It was USDA PRIME for $2.99 so I over-rode my brain and bought it. Why was the over-ride necessary? Well, because it was a 20 pound brisket. (Man that must have come off of a monster cow)

So while Meathead and Dr Blonder teach us that you cook to temp, not time - you need to estimate time in order to figure out when to start cooking. Between a few internet resources, I came up with the estimate of 1-1.5 hrs per pound of brisket. So we're looking at 24 hours to cook? On reddit some people recommended doing a hotter cook or wrapping and putting in the oven, etc. If I have to......OK. But I was hoping to do my first brisket "au natural" if you will.

So now I'm getting to the question (sorry for the long-winded intro) - I was meditating on Meathead's info for the Prime Rib - what matters is how thick it is. Why? Because the BBQ heats the outside and the outside heats the cells next to it and so on going inward. My 20# brisket is very long. I'm not sure how much thicker it is than something more reasonable like a 12-16 lb brisket. So is there some other, more accurate, way of determining the cook time?

Followup question: Is the Hour/lb after it's trimmed? I'm sure it'll weigh a lot less then as it's got a nice, big fat cap on it.

Also, I might have to cut off some of the flat to make braised brisket (or pastrami or corned beef) because I'm not sure this sucker's going to fit into my 18" WSM. (I'm pretty sure it's not - but I haven't measured yet)

Seriously doubt it is going to fit in an 18, it wouldn't fit in a 22" kettle with Slow 'n Sear on one side, and be pretty tight in a 26 after it loosens up after trimming.

I've cut off 4 pounds of flat for a pastrami a few times. I'd do that.

Comment

Agree with Jerod Broussard . I did a Costco15 pounder, trimmed over two pounds of hard fat off it and it was still 20 inches long.

Comment

Welcome! Thanks for the links. You are on the right track as far as time. It will depend on thickness, but also grill temperature. There are several things you can do to cut the time: 1) Separate the Point from the flat - this will make the overall cut thinner. 2) Raise the grill temp - you could go straight to 270, like a PBC typically likes, or start lower and raise the temp when you hit the stall, etc. 3) wait until the bark is good (maybe at 180F IT) then wrap to finish quickly.

I don't think 24-hours is right to begin with. I've done 16-18lb Brisket in under 12-hours. But, others with more experience will be able to get you better times. What's really important is a rest after the cook and that can be many hours. So, for planning purposes, it's better to start the cook early and then the brisket may have more rest time in the Cambro, but no one is hungry!

Congratulations on the Prime find. Enjoy the cook and eat well!

Comment

I took a look at your rib cook and I have to say I absolutely hate the Weber rib rack. I stopped doing ribs on my Weber out of pure frustration that ribs wont stay upright on that thing. I do mine on a pellet cooker now just so I can lay them flat. I know I am being a baby but I really hate that it wont stand ribs up unless you cut them in havlf

Comment

Yep--turn the flat into one or more pastramis (maybe freeze some as "just brisket") and use the point for Q.

Comment

• djotaku
              djotaku commented
              Editing a comment
              Usually I make phở with flank steak, but last night found out brisket is an alternative. While the point is recommended, I'll probably throw some of the excess flat in there and see how that tastes. Who knows, might become a new favorite of mine.

FWIW: I would trim fat to get rid of hard fat and trim cover fat to 1/4" or so. My favorite slice is out of the middle of the point end so I would never separate point & flat, ever! Cut what you have to off the flat end to fit your cooker. The flat end tends to get thinner and thinner as it gets longer so no big loss there. Use it for burger or pastrami or whatever. I routinely cook brisket at 260-275 and still the last 14#er (trimmed weight) took 18 hours and turned out great. You need to cook to "probe tender", not time, or temp. Time is an estimate and temp is an average. "Probe tender" is done! Allow yourself 18 -20 hours and bump the temp up some from the start. I like to wrap in butcher paper at the end of the stall and after good bark, but suit yourself. A good long rest in a faux cambro (wrapped in foil, then towels) for at least 2 and even 6 or more hours is needed at the end anyway, so allow yourself LOTS of time. Done early allows you to relax. Not done at dinner time makes you come up with excuses and apologize for being late &/or serving tough brisket. Have fun and enjoy!

Comment

I've been experimenting (my last 2 brisket cooks, both very successful) with cutting off the flat portion, just where in reaches the "point over flat" mark. That way, I end up with a portion of "flat only", and a portion of "point over flat".

I place the "point over flat" portion on the smoker first, since it's the much thicker of the two cuts, and place the "flat only" portion on the smoker about 2 hours later.

It's worked out so well that I was requested to replicate it for a wedding rehearsal dinner, last weekend.

I used USDA Prime brisket from Costco.

Comment

• djotaku
                djotaku commented
                Editing a comment
                One of many experiments for me to try out. I'd like to do it "normal" the first time and then experiment with these other ideas.

You folks need to stop buying brisket. Just got back from my Costco in St. Louis and the price of prime brisket, which has been fairly steady for about a year at 2.99/lb, has now increased to $3.49/lb. Outrageous! Buy pork butt instead. Its only $1.99/lb for the whole butt or pork steaks (a St. Louis summer staple). What did I do? I bought both a brisket and the pork steaks.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm wondering how the upcoming holiday will affect prices, myself.

Originally posted by jacmac422 View Post
              I took a look at your rib cook and I have to say I absolutely hate the Weber rib rack. I stopped doing ribs on my Weber out of pure frustration that ribs wont stay upright on that thing. I do mine on a pellet cooker now just so I can lay them flat. I know I am being a baby but I really hate that it wont stand ribs up unless you cut them in havlf
              That is a bit of a pain, but for me it was more out of necessity for the amount of ribs I needed to cook. We were doing half a rack per person for 12 people. Normally I just smoke or grill a rack or two and can lay them flat. Of course, now that I have the WSM (which I didn't have at the time) I should be able to easily do 6 racks without needing the rib racks.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                FWIW: I would trim fat to get rid of hard fat and trim cover fat to 1/4" or so. My favorite slice is out of the middle of the point end so I would never separate point & flat, ever! Cut what you have to off the flat end to fit your cooker. The flat end tends to get thinner and thinner as it gets longer so no big loss there. Use it for burger or pastrami or whatever. I routinely cook brisket at 260-275 and still the last 14#er (trimmed weight) took 18 hours and turned out great. You need to cook to "probe tender", not time, or temp. Time is an estimate and temp is an average. "Probe tender" is done! Allow yourself 18 -20 hours and bump the temp up some from the start. I like to wrap in butcher paper at the end of the stall and after good bark, but suit yourself. A good long rest in a faux cambro (wrapped in foil, then towels) for at least 2 and even 6 or more hours is needed at the end anyway, so allow yourself LOTS of time. Done early allows you to relax. Not done at dinner time makes you come up with excuses and apologize for being late &/or serving tough brisket. Have fun and enjoy!
                I've got pink butcher paper. I am a little confused - why are you wrapping it AFTER the stall? Also, are you basically using paper on the BBQ and then foil in the faux cambro? Or do you leave it in paper in the cambro?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Usually have the bark I want after cooking through the stall. A Layer of foil over the pink paper seals in moisture in the faux cambro (and keeps it from making a mess in the towels).

• djotaku
                  djotaku commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK, perfect explanation.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here