Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done too early, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done too early, advice?

So I put a 12 pound brisket on at 11pm last night. I kept temp at 250-275 to make sure it was ready and rested for dinner time. It's 9:30am and my brisket is reading 201 but not quite probe tender yet and getting close.

Can I hold it in the oven at 170 until it's time to rest it, say 1pm, then let it rest 4h before dinner time? What should I do?
    ​
    All my briskets​ have been just on time or a little late. This is unusual for me.

Yup, I'd jus' wrap it tightly to preserve moisture, mebbe add a lil' bit o' liquid (apple juice, vinegar, beer, juices, broth,or what not), if ya' want it, and oven away at 170°, once it's probe tender.
    Me, I'd leave it there until I served it...
    Others will likely have other ways, this is jus' my 2¢

Comment

Oh yeah! I find that the four hour rest is ideal. Something special happens in that foil after one hour. You will be just fine. In fact, you are in a very good place.

Comment

Let us know how it goes! Wanted to do an overnight cook soon, and was curious how holding at 170 in the oven for a few hours would work out.

Comment

Finished probe tender at 10:30am about 3 hours too early. Decided to leave it in the oven until served. We will see what happens. My guess is that 170 for 7 hours equates to a 4 hour rest? What do you guys think?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            That sucker is gonna be SUPER TENDER.

I think just holding in the oven tightly wrapped until you're ready to slice will be best. Good luck!

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't forget… pictures or it didn't happen!

Forgot the pictures! Shooting myself.

Very very very very tender. Bark was tasty but not crispy, as could be expected kind of mushy. It was so tender and tasty I got zero complaints from the guests. They all loved it. Hey we are cooking for family, not competition. It Passed the pull test which I'm super surprised. Good to know I have options in the unfortunate event of finishing​ way too early. There's a joke in there somewhere but I won't go there.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Being done early is always better than making people wait. Nice work on the cook!

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            If it held together to slice but "pulled" easily, it was spot on! Congrats!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here