Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This could be a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could be a problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2798.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	318475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2799.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	318476 Ok so I had a Costco corned beef quickly approaching its done by date, So I started desalinating it last night so when I go to switch out the water and well its frozen over?? (Thats why I took the second picture with the glass and condiment to prove it was frozen!) Guess I'll switch out the water after the top thaws enough!

Was the corned beef frozen to start with? How cold is your fridge?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      No it was not. I have a wireless thermometer in there that says it was 35 degrees the whole time. (Its a mini fridge. Thats why it was so surprising that it was iced over.)

• dtassinari
      dtassinari commented
      Editing a comment
      It's even more surprising given that you're leaching salt into the water, so it needs to be below 0 C / 32 F to freeze. How far was the thermometer from the pot? In a smaller freezer you can have pretty sharp temperature gradients. (Then again, you'd have noticed stuff getting frozen in the past...)

Important safety tip! I'll thaw mine out before putting it in the water bath! At least partially.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      It went in not frozen, ITs a mini fridge the only thing I can figure is the pan just fit in under the ice box (which is what cools the whole fridge) I didnt have a lid so that may be how it froze over.

Sorry, I just pictured someone ice fishing catching a slab of corned beef.

Comment

I would think you will be fine. Most of the salt was likely out before it froze.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Stupid I phone!!!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Be a great beer fridge if it keeps it that cold!

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor its funny that was the same fridge I used to put my Steakager (for dry ageing steaks) in that I was having such a hard time keeping it below 40 degrees. It knows what I want and does the opposite lol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here