Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen brisket

I bought a prime brisket from Costco a while back but didn't have time for the cook. If I thaw it out in the fridge I am worried about it losing too much moisture. Has any done a frozen brisket? Should I be concerned about moisture?

Last couple I ran through my pellet eater was frozen.... 14 pounders.... I left mine in the cryo and left in fridge for three days to thaw... I wouldn't feed either of those to the dawgs...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Does that mean you didn't like them, or you liked them so much they were off limit to the dogs??

• FlaBouy
      FlaBouy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

almost everything i make is frozen. i think it turns out pretty good...

Comment

My experience is it's perfectly fine, hard to tell as long as everything is done right. I'm at 50/50 thawing frozen briskets or doing fresh (all after wet aging for 30-40 days). Without a side by side I simply cannot tell the difference. I have done the cooler full of cold water in the bathtub thaw and the fridge thaw, both work, water is a lot faster.

Comment

You can inject with some beef broth to help safeguard against it drying out. Low sodium broth will help prevent over salting.

Comment

You will be just fine. Injecting it will just make a mess. Let it rip!!

And remember before freezing, you can wet-age cry-vac'd briskets for 30-40 days, so freezing isn't always neccasary.

Comment

• NortheastAl
            NortheastAl commented
            Editing a comment
            Had no idea 30-40 days or I'd not have frozen the one I got last week.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah ,I am not recommending this but, I have pushed it to 60 days, without any problems. NortheastAl

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            re: wet aging, how do you know how long since it's been packed? I mean, l've looked on many of the butts and ribs I've bought and have never seen a date on it that it was packed, only a "sell by" date - and I don't know where that falls on their continuum.

Thanks all - time to get it thawing!

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Just toss it in the smoker frozen. Dress it up an hour on two into the cook.

You're cooking most the water anyway.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier
            You only want to wet-age with Vac-Sealed USDA CHOICE or USDA Prime briskest. Pork will not stand up this long. The Brisket label will have a "Packaged Date" and a "Use By Date". Pork should also have these labels.
            Here is a Costco Label for a shoulder. You can see the pack date on the lower left of the label. (Next to the red circle, USE BY DATE) A brisket label is on the right, as well.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Unknown-7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	314916Click image for larger version  Name:	images-7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	314915

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier Further, (and I don't mean to complicate this but only to inform) it doesn't hurt to ask the person behind the meat counter when this was actually packed because I'd been informed that this 'pack date' may not truly be when the brisket was packed but when it was received/labeled by the retailer. If you're only going 28-30 days it really won't matter, but if you're going to experiment north of 40 days I'd suggest getting as accurate a pack date as you can.

Also, as Spinaker says, wet age only in the original pack, don't open it at all or trim it until the aging is done.

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't want to open it and then try to wet age. I've left ribs for a couple weeks before in their vacuum sealed pack, but just wondered. I still haven't done much in the way of brisket... every time I mention it, the wife ends up convincing me to do pork again. lol

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                  Steve Vojtek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You've just answered my question I was going to ask about beef ribs. Cryovacced and two days past "best before". I wondered if the bone made any difference....

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't hesitate about that at all. Coupla days, meh.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here