Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins - pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it begins - pastrami

So this is my first... Nervous and excited of course. So far it went well, I have a 4.7lb Angus Choice flat, took off .4 lbs of fat. The one question was for the Prague 1 - the calculator stated 3.1 tsp or 13.8 grams but 3.1 tsp was 20 grams. I went with 3.1tsp - I just picketed one, what would you do? Also anyone who has made this before, how much wood do you use when you smoke it? Anyway, I will keep updating and happy Friday!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	311451
    Boston spice - Southie pickling spices and Hoosier Hill Farm Prague Powder No.1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JMuseum; April 28, 2017, 06:07 AM.

Looks good - keep us posted.

Comment

How did you measure 3 and 1/10th of a teaspoon if going by volume? What are you smoking it on? Minimal wood really. There's so much flavor in pastrami, especially if you use the rub generously (which Mh's pastrami rub is POTENT by the way) it's hard to tell what wood you used anyway.

Comment

• JMuseum
        JMuseum commented
        Editing a comment
        Any I crazy or did you just adjust the calculator?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        JMuseum. 10-4 on volume and weight. That makes sense. Nope, no adjustments! Maybe there was a tiny error the first time you entered info? Yeah I'd say 1-2 small chunks, one if it's large.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use cherry for Pastrami. Always. I think it really adds to the flavor of the pastrami. I use 2 chunks on the Weber 22.5

How much " water " did you enter into the calculator? That will make a difference to the amount of praque powder. Also what is the volume of your teaspoon? It should be 5 ml I believe and scraped off level.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        I just measure my level teaspoon of praque powder and on my jeweler's scale it came in at 4.90 grams.
        I believe that makes it 15.19 grams for 3.1 tspoon. The size of the crystals and how you level off play a big part. I always follow weight vs volume. More accurate...

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus it's only as accurate as each person's scale.

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. I've checked mine against bought items eg: spice packets with weight stated and also against my other jewelers scale from different manufacturer. I have 2 just in case. But I think the size of the crystals plays a part as well in volumetric measurement.

Just always prefer weight over volume for ingredients. The volume is too affected by environmental changes.

Comment

So I used the calculator to add water to get my PPM in range. The below is at the end of the curing process. I did cut a piece as I am not someone who likes to leave things to chance on my first journey, and to cook a piece. It was really good but I think it could have used a few more hours in the cure as there is a slight under-coloring in the center, but only slightly. Overnight water-bath, then rub and smoke on Saturday. Thanks everyone as always for the information on weight vs volume!
        Attached Files

Comment

That looks pretty danged good to me!

Comment

Looks good to me as well. But you will know after cooking - if the center isn't cured it will turn brown... Like non cured well done meat.

From a quick google an example:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	500x1000px-LL-5f24bedf_IMG533.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	313665
            Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 2, 2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• JMuseum
              JMuseum commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I am going to have to wait and see.....

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here