Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to Costco to buy Professional grade Kingsford briquets today...πŸ€—

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brined the Short Ribs for tomorrow's Smoke job in the 26" Weber kettle with the Slow and Sear.πŸ€™ I'm out of lump coal.πŸ˜–
    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful tri tip cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Kathryn...πŸ‘

The short ribs are in the cooker...

I used my lucky 13 number of Kingsford Professional briquets to start my fire. Once they were grey I added the unused unlit briquets from yesterday's searing of the tri-tips to fill the SnS. I boiled a quart of water in the nuker to fill the water chamber. I added 4 chunks of apple wood, put on the grate and added the short ribs. I placed the cooking temp thermometer in the center of the grate and put a food thermometer in the fattest Short Rib just to monitor that... even though I know it probably won't be accurate. I'll rely on my Thermapen later in the cook.

I used MMD Rub on all of the short Ribs because Scary Mary prefers the sweeter taste of that Rub.
      Attached Files

Comment

Today it was dunch... dinner served to late for lunch and to early for dinner.

Our meal was served at 3:00pm.πŸ˜‹ All turned out nicely. I was worried about having enough meat for 4 adults. The short ribs were 4.45lbs but there's lots of bone. It turns out that we had more than enough with 2 shorties left over for lunch tomorrow.πŸ‘
        Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are beautiful short ribs! I have to try those.

Wow. Did you Sous Vide the shorties at all, or just let them go SnS all the way, @Breadhead?

Kathryn

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Slow N Sear... all the way! That was the right decision on shorties. The meat is not that thick at the fattest point and you need that smoking time to get really good bark. My cooking temperature fluctuated between 225Β° and 250Β° and I only needed about 5 hours to get them probe soft.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          If I had SV'ed them first to 130° I'm thinking I might not have had enough smoking time to develop a nice bark.😬

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The USDA Prime shorties were every bit as good as I was hoping they would be. I could pull the meat off of the bone with just my fork...πŸ˜œπŸ‘Œ

Mr. Breadhead: Sorry if I missed it but would like to see your time and temp procedure for SV sirloin steaks. I have been slow to try since I haven't seen too much info about the right time and temp to tenderize them sufficiently in the SV without making pudding. And, I can note that I've been a little disappionted lately by SV times on some of the mainstream SV sites for New York steak; it is still a little too tough for my liking for all the trouble, imho.

Thank you, sir--your work is an inspiration!

Comment

John Henry , That's a really interesting point. I have bought the Prime New York roasts from Costco and cut them into New York steaks. I have SV'd them and BBQ'd them. I much prefer the SV rib-eye roast method to the New York. The New York likes the BBQ better. I might think of going much longer with the New York's SV style. Breadhead has done a lot of experimentation with times on different cuts and I am curious about the outcomes of his sirloin if he SV's them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
            Mr. Breadhead: Sorry if I missed it but would like to see your time and temp procedure for SV sirloin steaks. I have been slow to try since I haven't seen too much info about the right time and temp to tenderize them sufficiently in the SV without making pudding. And, I can note that I've been a little disappionted lately by SV times on some of the mainstream SV sites for New York steak; it is still a little too tough for my liking for all the trouble, imho.

Thank you, sir--your work is an inspiration!
            If you are going to SV steaks I would recommend you stick to Meathead's suggestion for the size of your steaks he uses for his reverse sear method... 1.5" to 2" thick. Any steak less than 1.5" use the hot fast cook technique.πŸ‘

I've been experimenting with SV times for steaks and small roasts (tri-tips) for a couple of years now. Not daily but just whenever I wanted to play with my SV circulator. What I've learned is that extended time in the hot tub is your tenderizer. Most SV websites will suggest you leave your meat in the hot tub for 2 to 4 hours. In my experience that will give you a perfectly cooked, great looking, kind of tough steak, even if it is Choice or Prime. Double that hot tub time to 8 hours and you will notice a significant difference in tenderness. If you go 12 hours you will notice more tenderness. I'm not sure of the actual sweet spot for a 2" USDA Choice or Prime grade steak is exactly. But I'm guessing it's somewhere between 12 and 15 hours at 131Β°.

Most of my experiments have been with tri-tips just because they are so inexpensive I find them affordable to play with. I think 15 hours at 131Β° is the sweet spot for a Choice or Prime tri-tip. I know 24 hours at 131Β° will make a tri-tip unpleasantly mushy.

"For all that trouble"

All of that trouble is 5 minutes to fill the hot tub with 131Β° hot water, put your vacuum packed meat in and then go off to work, play a round of golf or do chores. I've made a place for my hot tub right next to my kitchen sink so I can extend the faucet over into the tub and turn the hot water on. I've adjusted my hot water heater to give me 131Β° hot water. So now I can fill the tub, drop the meat in and forget about it all day!

The guy that invented the SV circulator truly saw it as a set it and forget form of cooking.

If I were you I would buy some nice New York steaks and try them at 8/10/12/15 hours and then sear them hot, trying not to get a grey band under the crust. You will find YOUR sweet spot in that experiment. For a 2" New York steak my guess is that will be somewhere close to 12 hours.

Last edited by Breadhead; April 28, 2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I dry brined the New York strips last night and vacuum sealed them today - 2 strips per bag. They were just under a pound each. The idea here is to make quick lunches or dinners, manual labor wise. If I fill my SV hot tub with 131Β° hot water right out of my kitchen faucet I can get my meat in 131Β° water in just a couple of minutes. Then I forget about it and go about my day and not worry about it. Then when I'm ready to have lunch or dinner I can remove my meat from the bag, blot it dry and apply some beef love while I'm preheating my cast iron skillet, and then sear the meat. Total hands on labor time for me, including cleaning up the kitchen and washing the skillet? Less than 10 minutes. Maybe another 10 minutes to make the sides and to open the wine.πŸ‘

I've got one package in the hot tub now and will sear them when my dog and I get home from the beach in a couple of hours. The other 3 packages went into the freezer. When I'm ready to use them I will put them in the hot tub right out of the freezer when they are rock hard. It don't get easier or better than that! This is like a fast food restaurant but better food.πŸ€—
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Breadhead; April 30, 2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

We're home from the beach... they were playing some music and Da Boz and I stop to listen...πŸ€—
                Attached Files

Comment

Out of the hot tub and into the cast iron skillet. A baked potato and a wedge of lettuce with some red onion.πŸ‘
                  Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
                    kmhfive commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks delicious.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here