Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a small brisket tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a small brisket tomorrow

Hey all,

I've got a nice, small HOP brisket ready to go. Salted it this morning and it's been sitting in the fridge all day. I've got my rub ready to go for the morning, I'll put it on around 6. I'm using a Traeger L'il tex loaded with hickory and pecan. I just cleaned the grill and replaced the tin foil, it should work like a charm tomorrow (i've had a few auger problems in the past because of old/damp pellets.) I plan on not using a crutch because it's a small brisket, I'd rather wait the extra little bit for that delicious, mildly spicy bark.

I will post pictures and a review when all is done, you can critique my method and give me tips.

I'm sure it will turn out great.

Comment

Sounds good to me! We look forward to your pictures. Good Luck. You got this.

Comment

Great plans. Enjoy the cook.

Comment

Brisket point, IMHO, is nothing short of a gift from above. Enjoy!

Comment

I ended up using a crutch, I wanted to go for tenderness.
          I have to say that it didn't stall very long at 150, maybe 20-30 minutes....granted it's only a 6 lb brisket.
          It's about to hit 205: I will pull off and in the cambro it goes.

Taste test will be around 5 pm!

Comment

Nice. I picked up a HOP brisket today.. about 7.5 lbs and will likely be closer to 6lbs once I trim some fat.

Did you find dry brining the HOP for 24 hours did much good?

Also, it's my first time doing just the point. According to this: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html it says:

3) Use a whole packer if you can. Small pieces, like a four pound hunk o' flat (HOF) or hunk o' point (HOP) lose a lot of moisture, shrink a lot, and get tough.

Hopefully I don't incur a dry/tough point as the whole purpose of buying just the point was to avoid the typically dry/tough flat!

Comment

Originally posted by Senator Pig View Post
              Nice. I picked up a HOP brisket today.. about 7.5 lbs and will likely be closer to 6lbs once I trim some fat.

Did you find dry brining the HOP for 24 hours did much good?

Also, it's my first time doing just the point. According to this: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html it says:

3) Use a whole packer if you can. Small pieces, like a four pound hunk o' flat (HOF) or hunk o' point (HOP) lose a lot of moisture, shrink a lot, and get tough.

Hopefully I don't incur a dry/tough point as the whole purpose of buying just the point was to avoid the typically dry/tough flat!
              So here are my thoughts:

The meat was absolutely delicious. Perfectly moist, well seasoned and all around awesome. While I enjoy a cold brisket sandwich the next day, there is nothing like that melt-in your mouth goodness of fresh meat.
              The dry brining made a HUGE difference. I've always believed that salting the meat sucks the juice out but now I know that the salt actually gets sucked in.
              Because my brisket was small, I likely would have been fine without the crutch but it's essential on a full packer.
              I would probably eliminate the rub and just use salt/pepper/garlic powder.
              The faux-cambro was brilliant. The meat came off around 2 pm and was perfect for dinner at 6:30.

Lots of fun, on to the next project. Anyone have a good method for Tri-tip on the Traeger?

Comment

Congratulations! Pictures would be wonderful

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here