Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs

Is there an equivalent to the bend test for beef ribs when gauging doneness? I'm about to smoke the ribs from last weekend's rib roast. Hit me with all your tips.

For my back ribs (mine come in 4-bone sections), I cook to probe tender which is around ~200 IT. I use my Thermoworks needle probe, and start checking for probe tender around ~195, then wrap and to a faux cambro for about an hour. I have yet to cook short ribs/shorties.

My last cook, average of 230 pit temp, took 4.5 hours.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1846.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	308170
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; April 21, 2017, 06:44 PM. Reason: Corrected typo...I check for probe tender around 195, not 198.

Comment

I do the same as fuzzydaddy with both back and short ribs. Sometimes I will take the short ribs to around 165 then put them in an aluminum pan with some broth, cover it the pan, and take them to 200 - 203 whichever is probe tender.

Comment

Thanks fellas. I wasn't sure how accurate the probe could read on these. I'll go with that.

Comment

I've had them hit probe tender at 195 and above 200F. Am not aware of a bend test. I'm referring to short ribs, also in 4 bone sections.

Comment

If they are English cut I treat em like brisket point. Probe test plus temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here