Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use your fat for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use your fat for?

So I have a few pounds of fat trimmed from the rib roast in the freezer, I'm just not sure how I'm going to use it. If I had a grinder (on the MCS list) I'd probably add it to some burgers, but since I don't I'll probably render it, which I've never done before. What do yall say?

Re: Headline: Mostly filling out my skin and maintaining my figure in a semi-spherical shape.

Comment

No grinder then render it down, or ship it to Potkettleblack

Comment

"In the winter" which was about two weeks ago (84 yesterday in western mass) I take cut slabs of fat and put them in suet feeders for the birds.

Didn't I read about "liquid love"? Render the fat and then use THAT for injecting your various clods?

Comment

Beef love! Melt it down, put it in ice cube trays, freeze it, then save it in a ziplock bag. Your searing game will be brought to a whole new level!

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I think we may have a winner. You have my attention, please, tell me more.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I love doing this. They are also great for adding to chili!

In the sidebar to this article is the Beef Love process:
          Create grilled steaks as good or better than they do in the best expensive steakhouses with this comprehensive how-to and recipe. From selecting the right cut and beef grade to smoking and searing on the grill, you'll be grilling up mouthwatering steaks for your family and guests in no time!

Comment

PKB, don't forget about adding bacon fat to a seared steak.

Comment

A little more color than what the article states. I did this 2 nights ago, so it's fresh on my mind.

Take all that solid beef fat, and put it in a big pot. Put it on the stove at medium (or medium low). Pot covered! It takes some time (perhaps 30-45 minutes), but you'll see the fat will melt into liquid. Stir occasionally. You can go longer than 45 min if you wish.

Note that not ALL the fat will melt. In fact, you'll still have more solid fat than melted fat, but you'll still have enough melted fat to make several ice cubes.

Pour the melted fat (from your pot) into ice cubes and freeze overnight. Once they're frozen, pop them out into a ziplock baggie, and use them when you're ready for a super-sear. Take those ice cubes made of beef love, and pop them into the microwave for 2 minutes (on high). Paint your steaks with that melted fat and sear. You'll love it!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              A crock is perfect for this. Or a large dutch oven with a small, circular wire rack placed in it. The fat drips down below and what is left.....rendered fat and perfect stuff for cracklins or doggies treats on a cold winter day. JPGators17 Potkettleblack EdF

• Notavegan
              Notavegan commented
              Editing a comment
              And, Spinaker and other CI heads, wait for it......................................... your cast iron dutch oven will get a good seasoning out of that fat rendering effort.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              It will thank you! Notavegan

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here