Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket on BGE .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket on BGE .....

I've done pastrami a few times on the egg, but never brisket. I got a 14.5 lb choice packer at Walmart. They had a bunch to choose from and I chose by thickness and consistency of flat - can't really see the fat through the cryo.

I trimmed 4-5 lbs and dry brined overnight. Bbbr just before and then on 225 w 2 chunks of red oak. as I trimmed, and trimmed, I realized I was going through the natural separation of flat and point and said to hell w it and kept on going. That ended my debate whether or not to to cook it whole. Went on at midnight, flame boss kept everything steady til morning. Checked my phone in the morning and at 6 am the flat was 168. Wrapped a nice established bark in double foil.

Then I got real surprised. I went out and got out of the gym at 8:30. In 2.5 hrs both hof and hop were 207-209. 168 to 207 in 2.5 hrs?? Madness. I felt each carefully (welders glives) so I can start to get the feel for doneness. Probe feel in both were I suppose what everyone describes as buddah. I was borderline irate if my maiden voyage w king brisket got way over cooked bc I went to the gym????

Forget about IT and checked em out. Flat in FC, point now beginning the push to burnt ends.

Awesome, super super super moist. It was hard cutting the point it was that tender and moist. Again, no experience w it so didn't know what to expect. It's amazing. And not even done yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0215.PNG Views:	1 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	305171Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0216.PNG Views:	1 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	305172

Burnt ends begin...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0214.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.83 MB ID:	305173
    Last edited by Notavegan; April 15, 2017, 09:09 AM. Reason: Edit: I pick thumbs up from icon list, thumbs down is presented. Double checked I picked the correct thumb.

Looks like you did a great job with it

Comment

Notavegan ... just out of curiosity I'm wondering why you decided to wrap your Brisket during the cook?

Time didn't seem to be a problem. Your Kamado will not dry your meat out. The foil does effect the bark texture, negatively in my opinion.

The only time I've ever wrapped a brisket during a low and slow cook in my BGE is when I got my cook started late. I needed to rush through the cooking process to serve it on time.

Comment

Looks like a Fine Job, Notavegan !!!
        Now, ya' can add Brisket to yer résumé !!!
        Must be a tad coolish, there in MA, this mornin', if it's hoodie wx.
        Lookin' fwd to th' Burnt Ends pics, thanks fer sharin'!!!
        Definitely Thumbs Up from here, Amigo!

Comment

Wellll, it was my first brisket. I had done a few in my mes 30 back in the day but that was a different deal entirely. I read repeatedly when people wrap and figured I was going to wrap too.

The bark on the point was still vg after the wrap and the burnt ends have been picked a couple times and the bark held up nice, albeit different in sure if it had gone the full cook unwrapped.

Flat tbd, still in fc.

Big (ge?) learning experience for me. Lunch soon and the flat will be sliced.

Comment

That is almost exactly how my briskets go in the BGE. I separate the flat and point, don't wrap, if they're on at midnight they're done around 9-10AM. I imagine if I wrapped them they'd be done sooner.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              What temperature do you cook at to get them done in 9 or 10 hours Mosca ?

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Usually around 250. I'll check some of my brisket cook posts and link them, the point is usually done faster. Edit: it looks like the upper points are done in about 10 hours, and the lower flats are closer to 11 hours. Still, the last couple have been done before noon the next day.

MoscaBreadhead Thanks both. I just sliced the flat on the ends (10 lbs of meat and everyone disappeared) and they are moist for even being on the ends. Bark on the flat is no longer bark, went to mush. If that's the worst that happened out of this cook I'll take it all day long. The meat is beefy, the rub worked, and the meat is moist and tender. That was my goal and to not get po along the way. Got a couple bags of snowflake rolls, good to go.

Had ad about an inch of molasses left in the jar and put all the other sauce ingredients in that jar, shook it up good, instant BBQ sauce dispenser / poured. Kids said they want he burnt ends w a shellac. Ok....

I can't even imagine doing a prime packer.

I will separate going forward again, if I get a point and am going to do burnt ends I will probably wrap the point but leave the flat au naturale.

A little bird of the notavegan species keeps picking at the burnt ends.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	305247
            ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Everything looks like it went well... good cook! There's really no need to wrap the point either. The point has more fat than the flat and it will finish a couple hours before the flat usually. That's when I cube it and put it back on the smoker while the flat finishes up.

That looks like a great cook.

Comment

Great job!

Brisket is so fun!!! And tasty.

Keep cooking and share more.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here