Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing help with a brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing help with a brisket cook

Hey Guys, Needing a little help with a brisket. My sister in law told a few ladies at work how great my brisket is. One of the ladies wanted me to cook a brisket she had in the freezer so she could take it to work Thursday for their lunch. When my sister in law brought the brisket home I immediately noticed how lean it was! This looks to me like a Nebraska sandhills grass fed beef (and it was). I have to cook it tomorrow in time enough for her to stick it in the crockpot on buffet warm Thursday morning. My plan was to smoke it until 203, wrap, stick it in the crock, then let them unwrap and cut when they are ready. My question is do you guys think that smoking till 203 is too long? If so, Should I crutch at 150 and put a little water or ah jus until whatever temp? Any help would be appreciated. I've only had great success with my briskets after following meatheads advice but I've never cooked one this lean. Thanks for the help in advance!
    Attached Files

Make sure you give it a good dry brine. I would wrap at about 165 or 170 F. Throw a little beef broth in the foil for added moisture. Make sure you cook to tenderness on this one. Some briskets are done at 195 F some are 206 F, you have to do it by feel. Temps are a guide in this case. When that probe slides in with no resistance, then you know it is done cooking. Then make sure that you give it time in the cambro. If I were you, I would use a cooler, bring the meat to the function in the cooler. Then have them take it out, slice it and put it in the Crock. Then you have them pour the Au Jus from the foil, over the meat, in the crock. This will allow you to add some moisture back in the mix. And have them cover the meat as much as possible. The meat, once sliced, will dry out the longer it sits in the open air.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd be a bit concerned about it being what appears to be a small HOF and turning into pot roast in the crock.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, but I was thinking they were just using it as a serving dish. i would not cook it or anything in the crock. Good point boftx

That looks pretty small, how much does it weigh?

Comment

Thank you Spinaker. I will try this.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet. Let us know how it goes.

Not sure, guessing around 8 to 10

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks small, maybe 4 or 5 pounds at most. Expect a fair amount of shrinkage. The key to brisket is always how long you hold it.

Hmmm... "I reserve the right to refuse to cook bad meat".

That would be a sign I would hang in my Smoke Shop if I had one that smoked large hunks of meat for customers.

I would be the smoke Nazi... "No smoked meat for you".😠

Comment

• Peterbilt123
        Peterbilt123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Almost thought of just thawing out one of my own that I know will turn out great. I agree with you bud,

Should I just smoke this one for a bit then have them finish off in the crock pot with a little beef stock? I know it would pretty much be pot roast but this little guy is just so lean I'm afraid it would get really dry.

Comment

Peterbilt123 Those pics look very lean. I don't think you have to do the finish in the crock pot. I think, instead, that you smoke it until it hits about 160 .... plenty of humidity in the cooker, bring the meat out plenty cold, dry brine for 24 hours .... it will hit 160 in 3 hours, I'd guess ... then wrap, toss a half cup of beef broth in when you wrap it. Bring it to 195 internal temp and then start checking probe tenderness. Pull it as soon as it feels tender. Don't worry about internal temp anymore.

Comment

• Peterbilt123
          Peterbilt123 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I'll probably try this.

Peterbilt123 what do you cook on?

Comment

• Peterbilt123
          Peterbilt123 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rec Tec 680

Peterbilt123 so my advice stands ... dry brine for 24 hours .... bring to the smoker as cold as possible .... keep your smoker as humid as you can until the brisket hits 160'ish ... then wrap with some beef broth (and maybe some rub thrown in for flavor) ... after that, worry more about probe tender than internal temp ... I think that thing will end up tough at 200F

Comment

• Peterbilt123
          Peterbilt123 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, I'll try this. Thanks for the help!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Peterbilt123 good luck! Love to see how this turns out, pics and commentary

Sorry this is so late, I haven't been around for a while. The meat turned out pretty good for what I had to work with. Smoked to 155 then wrapped. I put a little beef broth in with my wrap and brought it into the house to cook in the oven. Checked the probe at 180,185, then 190 before it felt pretty tender. I left it wrapped until the morning then sliced. It wasn't the worst thing I've cooked but it was the dryest brisket I've made to date. I guess it was a big hit at the office party because it was all gone. Thanks everyone for the help.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good work given the material! As long as they liked it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here