Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to the Butcher Shop ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suh-Mokin'!!!!

Comment

that looks great! I've never tried beef ribs and need to get with the program!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Beef ribs are awesome. My absolute favorite BBQ ..... Tell your butcher that you want a plate of beef short ribs. :-)

6th Borough BBQ your new Lang is the perfect choice for beef ribs .... that stick burner is gonna have you thinking you live in Texas hill country!

Oh, here they are at about 185F ..... getting close ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	302571

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
        6th Borough BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, those look perfect!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Droolin', here, already!

7 hours worth of cooking beef ribs .... just about to pull them .... They are about 190-195, depending on where I probe and the thermapen goes into them like they are buttah!

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	302641

And I made some sweet n sour slaw ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0474.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.96 MB ID:	302633

2/3 ring of charcoal for a 7 hour cook is pretty dead on

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0476.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.35 MB ID:	302631

And, here's what my Fireboard chart looks like for the 7 hours of the cook. The variation in temp is due to either me opening the lid to check meat temp or take a picture and/or just the normal variation in the fire over time. I did NOT screw around with my vents once I was happy at the beginning of the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 4.37.16 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	302626
      Last edited by ecowper; April 9, 2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Right now the ribs are sitting in a faux cambro ..... will be serving in another 30 minutes. One thing I found interesting .... my butcher buys all his beef from Painted Hills Beef .... It's not Wagyu/Kobe .... but the beef is all grass fed, free range and corn finished. These ribs were done at a very low temp, based on probe tenderness, only about 190 (couple spots probed to 195). Definitely gotta pay attention to how the meat feels, especially when you are buying really high quality stuff.

Comment

Good to know! Thanks for the details.

Comment

And the grand finale!

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	302698

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	302699

Comment

Looks like a fantastic Guys' Night Out!!!
              Enjoy th' food, an tranquility, Amigo!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Now it's time for a cigar and some bourbon my friend

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect end to th' day, IMO...
                Stars, warm S breeze, great stogie, an' fave brown likker...
                Repeat, as needed...

And the dogs, who've been drooling ALL DAY .... got their treat

Name:	IMG_0496.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	302710

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	302707

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	302708
              Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool dogs...👍 Having a relationship with dogs makes you a better person. They teach trust and unconditional love. They are so pure they don't even know how important they are to us humans.

Classic Doggie photos!!!
              It's almost as if they're interested in th' ribs yer holdin', off camera...
              Have a Chill night, all y'all!!! Looks like Paradise, from here...

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Wife just got home to take that picture, but now she's gonna watch TV and told me to enjoy my cigar and bourbon :-)

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones, those are a couple of damn fine dogs too .... look at how they plant their butts till they get handed their treat

Just beautiful. Can I be one of your dogs.

Comment

Steve B will you chase squirrels and bark at tree branches moving in the wind?

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And I promise not to pee in the house.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alrighty, you're hired

They're not painted hills but my business costco carries beef ribs for around 3.50 per lb.
                Your dogs are lucky I would've gnawed those bones much cleaner!

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                  my butcher buys all his beef from Painted Hills Beef .... It's not Wagyu/Kobe .... but the beef is all grass fed, free range and corn finished.
                  Thanks for tickling my memory. Been trying to get grass fed beef from one of our Farmer's Markets, and no matter what the cut, I thought I could use the piece of meat to pound nails. Their beef is grass fed all the way.

When I moved to AZ (from Chicagoland) in the 70s, all the stores had "western beef". While it was a little more chewy, the flavor was great, and it wasn't like cutting and eating a brick.

You just hit on the difference. While the cattle are range fed, they are still finished with corn and or grain. Makes a huge difference in the tenderness, and I think that's what is different with the ranchers today. They are taking them all the way on grass.

Hope you enjoyed those ribs. They looked great.

Best regards,
                  Jim

Comment

That's a nice looking slab of beef ribs can't wait to see your results

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here