Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reuben Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reuben Pie

OK,
    Given: I am addicted to home cured Corned Beef.
    Given: I love my Reubens after.
    Given: I love home fermented Sauerkraut.
    Given: I love meat pies.

New twist:

I'm gonna have the Y cook off another corned beef this weekend. when it is done, I will take the meat out and cook down ALL the liquid in the pot to make the caramel I have been talking about the last few days. then, make it back to a heavy sauce with a bit of vinegar and maybe just the needed water to make it spoonable. then, use my hot water pastry to make handpies with the leftover meat, home made kraut and slices of swiss. these can then be baked and eaten or frozen for later.

I'm doing these as hand pies rather than regular meat pies because a Reuben needs some more starch to it than a regular meat pie does. you want to balance your crust against your filling. a regular English meat pie, like a beef pie or the Porkie are the equivalent of an inside out hamburger in America. so. the Reuben, made into a pie, would want more crust. of course, you can make the pastry with the flours you use for rye bread if you like but I' not a rye fan so I just use straight white flour.

For those who work where they need or want to take their lunch, the English meat pies were designed t be eaten cold. so making meat pies ahead of time and taking them to work would be exactly why they were made. and, if you want them warm, in an office, you can always pp them in the Microwave.

The famous Melton Mowbry pies were made famous not because the regular folks ate them but because the Nobles caught on. they decided they liked them and the ability to eat them out of hand made them perfect for a person on horse to eat as they followed the hunt.

Instead of vinegar and water in the sauce, would you consider pickle juice? -- I noticed you didn't include anything like Thousand Island and the juice may give a hint of the missing pickle relish.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      sure. that would worke beautifully. pickle is just vinegar & spice so that is precisely the same thing.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      start saving your pickle juice and cooking it down. or , to keep the flavor easy, use a slow dehydration. basically, save anything you can still taste. if you can lick the skillet and still taste something, lift it and save it. if you boil anything but an egg, it leaves a taste in the water. use it.

Sounds like an awesome idea! I have 4 cups of corned beef "purge" I was wondering what to do with. Now I know!

Comment

You're a goddess! That sounds AMAZING.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        Hestia is the Goddess, I am merely the Handmaid and Consort of the Flame!!

Pies in the oven. Photos taken of assembly and such. we'll take photos of the finished product and post a review after dinner.

Comment

Oh my! I can't wait to see it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here