Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next day Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeusDingo
    commented on 's reply
    it really did. it's good to know i can make a roast on the weekend and reheat it sometime during the week and have it still turn out amazing.

• RonB
    replied
    That looks like it worked out really well.

Leave a comment:

• Ozzie
    replied
    Very nice! Looks tasty. That crust/bark looks soo good. Now I gotta check out this tri-tip thing!

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    started a topic Next day Tri-Tip

Next day Tri-Tip

So the PLAN for sunday was to stay home and make tri-tip for dinner. there was a sale at the local wholesale meat market and the wife picked it up friday afternoon. i trimmed and started the dry brine in my fridge on friday night and left it unwrapped since then. it had dried up and gotten a beautiful color of red by sunday.

what ACTUALLY happened sunday was that we met my in-laws for what i thought was going to be lunch then shopping, but what ended up being shopping then lunch. so we ate at around 4pm and i knew tonight was not going to be tri-tip night. so my dilemma is now what do i do? i can't really make it monday since it was supposed to rain, it takes 2+ hours to make, and i don't get off work until 5. so i decided we would try to make it sunday, put it in the fridge, and reheat it and eat it on monday.

so when we got back on sunday (~6pm) i got to work. i wrapped the meat with some twine

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_180326[1].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	300112

i applied EVOO over the whole thing and applied my layers of seasoning. first garlic powder, then onion powder, then paprika (which kind of got away from me), and then black pepper.

Name:	20170402_181331[1].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	300113

i cooked it around 230 degrees, smoking it for about 30 minutes with 2oz of mesquite. at 120 degrees i took it off the smoker and moved it to my very hot grill for the final sear until it read 130 in the thickest part. i know some people might say i could have waited to sear until monday when i actually ate it but i didn't want to take it out in the rain. besides i think this worked out fine. i also wasn't sure what temp to shoot for when searing or even what temp to take it out of the smoker.

Name:	20170402_203530[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	300114

so i let it rest for about 30 minutes and i put plastic over the top and put it in the fridge. the wife wanted to steal some but i didn't want to lose any juice so i was the bad guy for the night.

monday came around and i stuck a thermometer in it, put it on a rack and shoved it in the oven at 300. it took about an hour for it to get back to 130. the whole house smelled AWESOME.

when the moment finally came i sliced it up and it was fantastic. this is the cross section of the first cut before i started cutting the other way for slices.

Name:	20170403_190029[1].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	300115

i don't think i would ever hesitate to make it this way again. even the thin pieces that were more well done were great. the wife made some mashed sweet potatoes and we had some buns with it. it was a fantastic meal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here