Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-cook research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-cook research

How much research do people do before trying something new? Maybe because I am a data guy but I am planning on trying the pastrami in a few weeks - I think I have put in 3-6 hours of research - 50+ articles and blogs, research on where to get the best spices and if I should spend the money on Prime brisket online if I cannot find it in store (suggestions).

Nothing wrong with that! I do the same but eventually it becomes time to just do it. You're already well into the ballpark, it's time to step up to the plate. Oh, and take copious notes.

Comment

Unless you live on the East Coast, your local Costco may carry prime brisket, (and that is slowly changing for us East Coasters). Walmart carries choice mixed in with select, and the choice I bought turned out great as brisket.

And oh yes - it's time to just do it...

Comment

It really depends on what I am planning on doing. If it's just a new rub or temp I don't do much at all. I have yet to go through the process of making corned brisket for pastrami in fear of screwing it up. I have been using pre-corned beef for pastrami. So I guess when I first try it I will have been well in excess of a few hours of research and prep.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here