Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket!

I threw in my first brisket on the Kettle, so far it's been about 4 hours at 275f and the IT of the thickest part is 168f. I haven't seen it slow down so I don't know if I'm the stall yet. But it's looking good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	298817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1244.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	298818

Not just looking good its looking awesome! Can't wait to see it finished..

Comment

Mmmmm. Brisket, eggs, and toast sure sound good right about now. Keep it rolling!

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

That is looking good. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Awesome looking so far. But it looks like you're gonna need a DnG so you don't waste all that aluminum foil.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              That would be a "Drip and Griddle". It kinda goes with the SnS. "Slow n Sear" from ABC barbecue co.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I just saw your pics from last night. That bark looks insane. Very nice.

• gijsveltman
              gijsveltman commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B I'll look into it! And yeah the bark was awesome. Very smokey

It's looking (and smelling!) real nice! 5 hours 40 minutes in but I feel it's cooking too fast. I didnt notice any stall and it's already at 192f internal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	298909

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Bark looks spot on.

Looks like a meteoric hunk o' goodness!!! Cain't wait to see it done!!!

Comment

At a pit temp of 275 you may not see a stall. If it is done early, wrap it and hold it in a faux cambro or your oven set to 175.

Looks awesome!

Comment

Great looking brisket!

Comment

How did this come out? For a first run you did a bang up job! At 275 F, it is very possible that you over ran your stall, no problem with that. It's about temp and feel, not time.

Comment

• gijsveltman
                    gijsveltman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very good! It surprisingly hit a stall around 198f which I found crazy, and it started going down. But I took it out anyways and held it. Pretty good either way!

gijsveltman where were you measuring the temps, both grate and internal?
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 2, 2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• gijsveltman
                    gijsveltman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On the grate about 3 inches away with a Thermoworks Smoke. Internal in the thickest part of the point.

Beautiful!!

Comment

After 9 hours, I put the brisket to rest for about an hour and a half. Everyone loved it, and the black meteorite look had people intrigued. The flat was a little dry (I didn't wrap), but the point!! So juicy and tender. Lessons for next time are: using less wood (the coffee plant wood I have is very strong) and adding much more salt and pepper. But it was pretty great and a very fun cook! Didn't mind waking up at 2:30am at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1251.JPG Views:	1 Size:	676.5 KB ID:	299483
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1252.JPG Views:	1 Size:	566.5 KB ID:	299484Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1254.JPG Views:	1 Size:	574.0 KB ID:	299485

I did some burnt ends by rendering some fat on a skillet and cooking the brisket with BBQ sauce. They were so good! Can't wait to cook another brisket!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1250.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.26 MB ID:	299486

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes sirr!!!!!!!

Pics look so good they oughtta be illegal!!! Nice Job!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here