Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast question

I've been reading on this board about chuck roasts with some interest, never having done one on the smoker. I confess to being a little mystified. You guys are talking about taking the meat above 200. Isn't a nice medium rare what we're going for on beef?

Chuck is a rather tough cut at med rare temp. Think of it like brisket, needs to be brought up to a much higher temp to break down connective tissue and render fat. Give it a shot, I made a couple a few weeks ago and we froze some, chopped it up this week for tacos..delicious.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

A roast for slicing is way different than a roast for pulling. You've got to get above 200 in order to render collagen and connective tissue ... and a chuckie has a LOT of collagen and connective tissue to render.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; April 1, 2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

You could sous vide at 131.5 for 48 hours and chill. Then cook indirectly to 115 internal and finally sear like a steak.

Other than that, 207 internal with a 2 hour hold in a 170 degree oven. Pull and thoroughly enjoy.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 I've yet to get to it since I am the only Medium-rare eater in the house. Potkettleblack recommended it.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack was right on. A chuck prepared like that is a "poor man's ribeye"! Awesome!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I just did a full packer brisket by the same method, roughly and am very pleased with results, though I took it on the grill until it built acceptable bark. Nice hybrid.

I like to call Chuck Roast Poor Man's Brisket. And we like to slice it like Brisket. But with Chuck Roast you also have the option of successfully pulling it. But you really do need to take it above 200 f. I typically shoot for IT of about 207 f. Approach your cook like you would Brisket. But keep in mind Chuck Roast is much more forgiving. And MUCH less expensive. So have fun with it!

Comment

• PJBowmaster
          PJBowmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I have not seen a price spike in our area. (We don't have a Costco) But even if the price per pound is higher, the Chuck Roast is a much smaller piece of meat with less waste. Making it a very practical and cost effective selection.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to get Hanger steak from a local butcher for next to nothing. A couple of restaurants in town started serving it. Folks began buying it and wouldn't you know it - the butcher jacked up the price. Argh!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Costco prime packers are about half the price of bravery store chucks for me. Chuck + SV is poor man's ribeye. Chuck is easy brisket.

i like Chuck roast as much if not better than brisket and I slice it like brisket. I start checking it at 200* by probing it with my thermo pen, it should feel like going butter, then wrap and cambro for min 2 hours. Like PJBowmaster it usually feels right near 105+. I also frequently cube and sauce it after tender back on the smoke for delicious chuckies burnt ends.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
          PJBowmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't mention the cambro. But I also like to rest at least 90 minutes. I need to try making burnt ends. Cause we love them too....

just did my first one (4 lb) Thursday to 208 and I to sliced it like a brisket. wife said she never though it could be that good on a smoker. she said she's done with the oven for it. go figure. I have about 2 lb left in the fridge. can I make burnt ends with it?

Comment

• smontle
          smontle commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a 3.5 pounder for tomorrow. How long was your cook on that one you did? (I'm assuming you were 200-225) I am pretty much a pork shoulder and rib guy, I don't know much about this beef game outside of the full brisket.

• Planner47
          Planner47 commented
          Editing a comment
          average temp. 270. was 8 hours in pbc and 1.5 hr. in oven. internal temp 208. hit stall at 135.

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Take those 2lbs, cube them up, roll the around in some sauce and indirect grill or smoke em. Glad your SO liked it!

smontle

here is fzxdoc log on chuckie's

Beef Chuck Roast:
        • 2.5 lb: ave PBC temp not recorded; 4 hours to 170 degF; wrapped and put back in cooker 3 hours more to reach 207 deg F internal. Rested in cambro 1 hour before slicing/chopping. Total cook time: 7 hours.
        • 2.75 lb; 290 ave PBC temp; 2 hours to 160 degF; wrapped and put back on cooker 1.75 hour to reach 209.Total cook time: 3.75 hours.
        • 2.75 lb; 275 ave PBC temp; 1.75 hours to stall at 155 deg f; left in stall for 2 hours before wrapping at 165 degF; wrapped and back in PBC at about 260 deg F ave PBC temp; took 40 minutes to get to 202 deg F but meat was not tender; went into a second stall for 2hours 50 minutes before reaching 208 deg F (3.5 hours after wrapping). Rested in 150 deg warming oven for 2 hours. Meat was pull-apart tender. Total Cook Time: 7.25 hours not including rest. Total rest time: 2 hours.
        • 4 lb; 285 ave PBC temp; 3 hours to 160 degF; wrapped and put back on cooker 1 hour to reach 205. Rested 1 hour in cooler. Total cook time (not including resting): 4 hours.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc has some awesome cook logs posted. She Rocks!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks hogdog6 !

Kathryn

I've gotta try this this week. My mouth is watering! Thanks for the tips.

Comment

This one is a bit of a different approach - it's kind of multi-step but is about 8 hours from starting to cook to eating. http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

I've used it at least 3-4 times and it's always awesome! Clay has finesse.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
            I've been reading on this board about chuck roasts with some interest, never having done one on the smoker. I confess to being a little mystified.
            The chuck is a pretty big part of an animal -- it comes from the shoulder area, forward of the ribs and above the brisket. In our area there are some cuts of "chuck roast" that come from a little closer to the animal's ribs and some that come from a little more forward up to the shoulder. The ones closer to the rib have a little flatter piece of the shoulder blade (the scapula), the ones a little more forward have an "H" or "aitch" bone that you may recognize is similar to the odd-shaped bone in classic pork butts (which come from the shoulder). The "blade" chuck roasts are a bit more tender. The "7 bone" chuck roasts are bit more meaty and tougher.

When you all are talking about slow-cooking chuck roasts, and timing and results, which part of the chuck are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertC View Post

When you all are talking about slow-cooking chuck roasts, and timing and results, which part of the chuck are you talking about?
              Pretty much any or all of it. Cooked low and slow it's all "tasty and tender". Some even do the entire shoulder "clod" that way. Takes a while but awesome end result!

Comment

I'm reviving this thread because next weekend I'm going to do a 3.5 pound boneless chuck. I'm considering doing the entire thing as burnt ends. Planning smoke, wrap, more cooking, then cambro. Do I have to be careful about getting the chuck too tender where it falls apart when I'm trying to cube it?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with HorseDoctor (I'm not surprised). More surface area = more bark. Bonus: thinner meat = faster cook.

This has given me the idea to do a 2.5 lb chuckie, 24 hours sous vide at 131, shock, chill, rub, smoke 2-3 hours for bark, cube, sauce, profit.

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Potkettleblack, suggestions on the smoking temp for that plan?

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Low. 225-250... I can hold a pretty steady 225 so that's about what I do with my gasser. If it's windy, I go a bit hotter, as there's a lot of variance.

Tried this yesterday, post on the 'Show us what you're cooking' thread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here