Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foil brisket during or after the stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foil brisket during or after the stall?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but this is my first post, and I'm still learning the "search" feature. Smoked a brisket a few weeks ago on my WSM 18.5 "Aaron Franklin"-style. He says not to wrap the brisket in butcher paper until AFTER the stall (160 degrees for me). But around one hour into my 2.5 hour stall, I had a pretty good bark going. In the future, can I wrap once I have the bark, or should I wait 'til I break through the stall? Thanks! Looking forward to getting knowledge on this and tons of other stuff!

If you are happy with the bark I would go ahead and wrap. But I use foil....

Comment

the search on this forum needs serious help.

wrap whenever you are happy with the bark

Comment

I went into the forum section for pit members. I scrolled down to beef and brisket techniques and recipes and typed "Brisket wrap stall" in the search bar. Up came a bunch of forums in which people talk about it. I will admit it is not the most intuitive system I have ever used but with a little work I can generally find what I am looking for.

One thing I am guilty of here is starting a forum in the wrong spot. Huskee does a good job of redirecting to the right forum to make searches easier but I imagine he feels sometimes like he's chasing around a bunch of 50-70 year old kids (I am one of them), trying to get them to put their toys in the right spot. The younger folks typically have this stuff down. With a group and a forum this large, that can be hard even when things are in the right spot.

The topic of when to wrap and with what is one that gets a lot of good debate here. There are a bunch of opinions so read through the forums once you hit those search words and you will see some really good advice and debate.

Here is a good thread generated with search words: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...per-or-plastic

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          well crap tbob4 that's in 34 days

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper Oh, it jus' gets better, after that...

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper - the doctor told me a secret at 50 - anything that needs to be replace (hips and knees), let him know early. You get titanium until age 65 and after that it's all plastic. HA! True story. I haven't had to go down that road yet.

Ditto the above and a hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

Ditto the above. Wrap whenever you like it. I prefer foil, and after the stall, usually in the 170 range up to the 180s if I get sidetracked. Believe it or not, even wrapping as late as upper 180s still saves quite a bit of time and holds a good amount of au jus in the foil instead of it all dripping away as when going nekkid.

These questions are a lot like asking how hot we like our coffee, or w/ cream or black. There's no right/wrong way. I just encourage you to experiment with different options and find your sweet spot! Brisket = good.

Comment

Thank you all for the help (with the brisket and the search feature)! I'm looking forward to trying more brisket... and then trying again... and then trying again.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Practice and observation are the essence. Eating is the fulfilment!

I have followed Meatheads recipe three times and have had great results each time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here