Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Umai dry aging bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umai dry aging bags

Anyone have any experience with these? Yeah, they're expensive, but they sound effective. https://www.drybagsteak.com

I just love the dang things. In fact, heading to Sam's this weekend to start a new roast. Only got 1 2" NY strip left from my last 35 day dry aged roast.

You may recall my thread here:

UMAi bags worked perfectly. 35 days ago dropped in a 13 pound Strip Loin from Sam's. Tonight it ended in bliss. In all my 54 years I have never even eaten a

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember than post and really liked it. I always read your posts, Lonnie, because they are as informative as they get. Thank you.

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brotha! Man, I can't wait to do another one for sure!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      lonnie mac

You can see that the marbling was not very good on this roast. But it came out very tender (my wife will attest). I think you can get an idea by looking at the texture of the top of the cooked one. It's magic!

I've used them. They work great. I just discovered that I really wasn't into the flavor that much so I stopped using them.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You've got me tempted. But it'll be rib if I do it!

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF PM me your address. I just checked and I've got one left. I'll send it to you.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I just realized I never sent you the dry aging bags. Sorry by the time I got back from our vacation i'd completely forgotten about it. I looked in my in box but cant find the message w your address. Please send it to me again and I'll get 'em in the mail this time.

EdF, brotha, there are some good videos out there too! It is true what you might read also, but it didn't discourage me at all. The bags can be a bit tricky to seal up sometimes. You don't have to get ALL the air out, just most of the air. The bag will do the rest and seal itself to the meat surface over a short time. I think it took me two try's the on the last one but it was a very large roast. The vac mouse's that come with the bags are a must as these bags are smooth, and can't let air escape like your normal "crinkle looking" food saver bags. It's not hard, and turned out to be dang fun, and surprising with my last thread, I want more! My next will be 45+ days for sure.

Greg over at Ballistic BBQ has some great vids on these bags. T-ROY does as well.

Ballistic BBQ:

T-ROY:

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks again. I'll be checking those videos shortly. After destroying about 4 regular or toggle sealers I bought a chamber about 5 years ago. So we'll see - according to the site it should be ok.

I was checking into them too. Check out the reviews on Amazon. If you do try them, let us know how they were!

Comment

Speaking of dry aging, check this out! I don't know where I found it but grab your mouse and look around!

Peter Luger Steak House is located in Williamsburg Brooklyn and Greatneck Long Island and has been named the best steakhouse in New York City by Zagat Survey for 30 years in a row.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Lonnie mac!

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        I got dizzy playing with that but that's an awesome link! PL steak is amazing!

The Umai system, in my experience, is great for charcuterie. I've not used them yet for dry aging, but, if they work half as well for dry aging as they do for charcuterie, then one would be well served to try them. The pepperonis and salamis I made in my fridge, were killer. When I have some extra time, I'll take a pork belly, currently in my freezer, and make some stuff. Anyway, they, in my experience, are very much worth the price.

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, they're pretty good. I'm not usually a "gadget" type guy, but these Umai bags work.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Strat50 . The charcuterie applications did get my attention too.

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        I've used the charcuterie one to cure a rolled pancetta. Just a word of caution: Try to resist handling it everyday (I couldn't ) it will lose its " seal" . I've had to rewet and reseal it. Pancetta was awesome.

Trigger pulled...

Comment

I have one bag left with all the instructions etc if anyone wants it to see what this is all about just pm me a mailing address. I didn't care for the dry aged flavor so I won't be using it.

Comment

I bought the charcuterie pack from Umai a while back and used their recipe for rolled pancetta. It was awesome! Makes really good carbonara.
          I still have half left:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0264-1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	297916

Now I'm dying to try the steak!!!

Comment

I've used them to dry age rib eyes and they work great. Have just started a couple of capocollas in their charcuterie bags. Seven or eight weeks is a long time to wait but so far they look good. The UMai people make a good product.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks HorseDoctor. I've done braesiole, pancetta and guanciale the manual way, hanging from the ceiling on the porch, a few times, but wouldn't go near the dry sausages. This may be how to go there.

Well, I have a bunch of pics of the rib rack I just aged for 35 days, but the software here just doesn't like that Android output, and I don't seem to have any editing software on this Mac. Grr.

Comment

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              Jebus man! Pics!!!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It's making me a little crazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_162023.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	31976120170514_162023.jpg

Well, OK! Pics are presumably fixed. 35 days choice prime rib roast. $4.99 a pound around Easter time ! Tasted rich as all get-out. But the flavor wasn't as strong as I had expected / hoped. We were being conservative on the aging period because the wife was a bit skeptical.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_155744.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.68 MB ID:	319703Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_163211.jpg Views:	2 Size:	7.61 MB ID:	319705Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_162917.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.24 MB ID:	319706Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_204455.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.19 MB ID:	319707Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_163556.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.72 MB ID:	319708Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_163211.jpg Views:	2 Size:	7.61 MB ID:	319709
            Last edited by EdF; May 15, 2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              These two dogs had their first taste of true minion-hood, getting a few bites of the outside part.
              Last edited by EdF; May 15, 2017, 01:04 PM.

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF, That Aged Roast Look Great! I know It Will Take You a While to Consider It❓ I'll Give You $0.50 Apiece for Your Mirror Image Dogs!
              CASH ON THE BARREL HEAD!
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Nah, you can't sell your children! ;-)

OMG these look so good man! Now I HAVE to do another one! Been searching high and low for a good bone-in ribeye. Possibly Waygu. Can't wait! I am VERY close to just converting one of my ole beer kegerators into a dry aging locker. But I want to do another Umai roast in the mean time. Looks like you did a GREAT job man!

Comment

Well, maybe it was beginner's luck - who knows. But it was delicious, and though I know I'm not having another tonight, I do have the craving.

I pulled it at 35 because the wife was concerned, but also because I was getting some white mold on one side. Turned out the back of the bag where the seal was got compromised. No harm, though. Those are some mighty fine steaks!

It's amazing how good just plain old choice came out. The wife said it was much more tender than she expected.

This is just an amazingly good method - no fuss, just some patience. Wish I had know about them a long time ago!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here