Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to corn a brisket - for pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to corn a brisket - for pastrami

As the title says, I am about to make a brisket into a corned beef brisket, and then PASTRAMI!

Last time, I made pastrami with a store-bought corned beef (half price, day after St. Patty's Day) and it was very good. I am hoping that this one will be even better.

Reading all of Meathead's admonishments about accurately following the recipe for curing, I have a question: In the corned beef recipe he says 'about 4 lbs' of brisket, 1 gallon of water, and 2 teaspons of Prague #1.

In the curing calculator, I entered 3.1 lbs of brisket (my piece) 1 gallon of water, and the calculator gives me 2.8 teaspoons of Prague powder.

So I have less meat, and more curing salt. I want it to be accurate, as Meathead says, but if I change the calculator to 4 lbs, as in the corned beef recipe, the calculator comes up with 3 teaspoons, not 2. Either way, the calculator specifies 5 days in the cure.

So, which is 'more correct' - the recipe or the calculator????

You good. I emailed Meathead to let him know the difference.

The calculator will tell you 3 teaspoons of prague for 4 pounds at 150ppm and 1 gallon of water.

Comment

You are going to love this. It is the best thing that I have made off the site!

Comment

The original recipe is 100ppm sodium nitrite. The calculator let's you choose different concentrations. I think the default is 150ppm.
        You can follow both the recipe and calculator safely. Meathead would never put us in any danger. Enjoy the pastrami.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Just to add: Meathead mentions that anywhere between 100ppm and 200ppm works but he recommends 150ppm. Just stick with the calculator and you'll be fine..Cheers...

thanks all... beef is going in the drink today! I think I'll post some pictures...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here