Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Brisket Ever/The Most Redneck Thing I've Done Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Brisket Ever/The Most Redneck Thing I've Done Ever

So I got a bonus from work and decided to celebrate by staying up all night with beer and a brisket. Got a Prime Brisket from Costco at 14.5 lbs and bought Pecan Chunks which I've never tried on meat. I started what I thought was early enough and eventually put the brisket at 9:30 pm to have ready for 1pm lunch the next day. I got into a zone and I think I over trimmed the brisket, took out most of the deckle but didn't quite separate the point from the flat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170325_204513.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	296565

Wife is already shaking her head...

So I rubbed with fresh ground pepper and salt 50/50. Did I over trim it? What do you think? There's 1/4-1/8 of the fat cap on the bottom not pictured.

All was going very well from my end...until I found out I didn't look at the forecast for the weather. We had about 48 hours of rain coming in Chicagoland area starting at midnight. Ugh Oh. I don't want water getting in the smoker and I wanted to stay out there for a bit and clean my brain with some peace and quiet all the while smelling some smokey goodness. Fear not.

Name:	IMG_20170325_225723.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	296566

I found some things in the garage and I made myself a makeshift tent. It wasn't windy, so the 22.5 WSM book beautifully between 225-250 with only one time I had to get up at 4:30 in the morning to stir the coals. It ran at 240 the rest of the smoking time with no adjustments needed. I sat out there with a 12 pack from 9:30-2am, listened to the pitter patter of the rain, drank beer, smelled the amazing pecan and brisket concoction, and most importantly took in the quiet.

Name:	IMG_20170326_075630.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	296569

The next morning, my wife wakes me up after feeding our 18 month old son and asks me how many beers I had last night and at what point did I think it was a good idea to make our neighbors think Jed Clampett moved in? I'm from KY originally and she's from Chicago, so she constantly jokes with me about this.

...anyways, the brisket stalled for 5 hours at 153, was at 170 for 2 hours, and was at 190 for another 2 hours. So I didn't meet the 203 goal and had to take it off at 196, but it turned out a fantastic product nonetheless with a fantastic bark. I'm having this issue with the WSM on long cooks for butts and brisket whereas after the stall it seems to still take a ridiculous amount of time at the same temperature points (170, 183, 190). Any advice on this?

Name:	IMG_20170326_142112.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	296570

This is flat on the bottom of the pic and point cut a little thicker at the top of the plate. It was only able to rest an hour, but my wife, in-laws, and my 18 month old son all thoroughly enjoyed it saying it was one of the best things they've had. My father in law said "This is better than the prime Rib I had at Weber Grill (a downtown restaraunt in Chicago) last night." Major brownie points from all. And even though they laughed at my setup and I'm sure my neighbors are a little wary of us now. They won't be complaining when we have great cooks this summer outside in lawn chairs during good weather.

Thanks for hearing my story. Any feedback is appreciated. I think Pecan is my new favorite smoke wood for beef. It was wonderful! Next time, I'll start waaaay earlier to make sure I get it to 203 and rested with time to spare.
    Attached Files

Hey Jed, looks like a good dose of ingenuity & stick toitiveness really paid off. How many beers did you have? Keep on Keepin on.
    Can't help you with WSM, but it sure looks good.

Comment

• HJS
      HJS commented
      Editing a comment
      How many beers did I have? Somewhere between enough and all of them!

That looks awesome. There are a lot of guys here with more experience than me, but they will probably tell you probe tender is more important than hitting 203. Great cook and love the set up.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
      That looks awesome. There are a lot of guys here with more experience than me, but they will probably tell you probe tender is more important than hitting 203. Great cook and love the set up.
      Especially with a Prime, especially if you go a looooooooong time unwrapped, especially if you are cooking under a blue tarp....

Comment

Looks fine to me! I'm pretty aggressive when I trim a brisket, too, especially on the top. I think the holding time is more important than hitting 203F now. I would say as long as it it is reasonably probe tender you should pull it and hold it in the faux cambro for as long as you can, at least 2 hours.

Comment

Oh My!!! Where do I start!
          • First, an' foremost: Great Lookin brisket, both before, an' after!!! Nicely Done, Sir!
          • Jus' tell yer wife it was my idea; I can take heat. Let her peruse my posts for verification.
          • 12 pack, huh? How deep were we in when pic 1 occurred?
          • If the shelter's only temp-like, then yer not a Redneck. If it was a housewarmin' for th' new addition, then, ya' would be! (An' I'd be at th' party, cookin' with ya!)
          • It's called Field-Expeditious.
          • Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
          • Good Improvisation, in my experienced opinion. Bravo Zulu!
          • I'd probably pay to see video, especially later ones, of you fetchin' a beer outta either of them coolers with water pooled up on that blue tarp!

I'm heavily tasked right now, so I'm gonna dash fer a while. Be back, later. More thoughts are likely to arise from yer great pictorial an' storytellin'
          Here's a pic to show yer wife, help yer story out:
          Hail, jus' use my avatar
          Later...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 29, 2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• HJS
            HJS commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the response and advice (to everyone as well!). I actually had a 3rd cooler underneath the tarp that wasn't pictured so I didn't have to get beers from underneath the ladder! And when my wife took the picture of me above after I was done trimming I was already "there" so to speak.

Congrats on a successful cook. An enjoyable story and photos too. As others have said, 203* is not the end all. It's probe thnder you are lookin' for. Also, prime briskets can be ready around 195* or maybe a bit higher.

Comment

Thanks everybody, going to start checking for probe tender in the biggest part of the flat at 195 from now on

Comment

I've done the blue tarp to HJS I am just starting with a ceramic cooker but the brisket is my goal this summer. Thanks for the the write-up, it will help when I give it a go. One question, what beer should I use!!

Comment

Your ladder and tarp rig was a fine example of southern engineering. Hopefully, the weight of the water in the tarp didn't pull one or more of those blocks down onto someone's head.

Comment

My kind of cooking beer and blue tarps (:

Comment

The ladder balanced on top of the 2 coolers was a fine touch! Probe tender for me. 203F is just a number. All briskets are different. Boftx nailed it with cambro.

Comment

Well sir, good job....however....if that's the most redneck thing that ya ever done.....then you sir, are now a yankeee....
                      please don't be offended.
                      When ya put a couch, under the tarp, a fishing pole, and a fold up cot and the family under it, with the dogs tied to the kiddo (so the kiddo don't wander off), then ya just might be a redneck.
                      Had a blue tarp one time that I used for a roof of my dune buggy when I got caught in a rain storm going from the general store. Sat on it and held it up on top of the windshield. Very versatile piece of plastic. They are like duck tape. Ya coulda wrapped the brisket in the tarp for the Cambro ya know.
                      again, mighty fine job

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Awesome story! Well done

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here