Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for my first Brisket, I don't want to screw up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for my first Brisket, I don't want to screw up!

Folks I'm a newbie and looking to tackle my first brisket. I have a ProQ Elite bullet smoker (it's a stacker with two cooking sections). I have a couple of dry runs and one proper cook under my belt (ribs and chicken).

They went pretty well and managed to maintain temp ok (I have a digital thermometer - that's one thing I already know from the forum you can't compromise on!)

Size wise looking to do something in the 4kg range. What would be your top tips for my first go to give me a good chance of success...want to impress my mates!
    Last edited by MeatMonster; March 27, 2017, 03:50 PM.

Read Meatheads info on Texas style brisket. Watch Aaron Franklin's brisket videos on YouTube (there are a bunch of them from trimming to a comparison of wraps). Do a full packer if you can get it. At least get a point if you can't get a full packer. Flats look neat and tidy but are very lean and can easily end up dry. Point is where the flavor is!!! Keep your rub simple. Beef should be the star of the show. Wrap AFTER you get good bark, usually at the end of the stall. I would probably use foil for your first brisket. Allow LOTS of time for your cook. My last full packer was 18 hours at 240F and 4 more in the faux cambro. Cook to "probe tender" usually in the 195-203 F range. Be sure and allow time for at least an hour (preferably 2 or 3) in faux cambro after the cook. Sounds complicated but it's not. Patience is key! Steady temperatures, wrap after good bark, cook until "probe tender" and hold in a faux cambro and you'll be fine! Enjoy!

Comment

@Alister I'm just going to sit back and let the experts chime in. I've done maybe 5 briskets in my and all of them very forgettable.

Except for the burnt ends. I did burnt ends 3x and nailed them 3x. Whatever you do, don't forget to plan for what many (you can count (Count of Q?) me in as one of them)
    feel is the best part of the brisket, and an argument could be made that a properly executed burnt end could just be the best piece of Q you can put in your mouth. I'm not suggesting I've had (or made) the quintessential burnt ends, but I know they are great.

So your 4kg range ( math don't fail me now ) is around 9 lbs. Sounds like a packer so you will have the point to eat as brisket (love it and the fat it brings to the party) but also the golden opportunity to make burnt ends. Lots of patience after a super Lin brisket cook then be prepared to chop up the point and send it right back in the ProQ for maybe another 5 hours?

As as I mentioned, others that nail brisket will give you great guidance. I'm just advocating that you opt for burnt ends.

Best of luck, on behalf of the PIT at large, eagerly awaiting updates and pics. Including what you selected for meat how big, gonna trim fat ? (Meathead recommends to 1/4") etc.

Comment

I was gonna say "Wheres the fun in that?? I learn a lot from my mistakes! Ok not as much as I guess I should cause I should be a genus!! Then I realized you have access to wonderful breeds of Meat!! you mentioned the home of the Aberdeen Angus! Is that the type you will be getting your hands on?? (So jealous!) Although I would also like to get my hands on some Galloway brisket as well!! So yes do what everybody above said!! Especially (Please) post pictures Pre and Post Cook!! Enjoy!!

Comment

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks GadgetGriller and all. Hoping to get time this weekend to do this. Will report back!

I would disagree with HorseDoctor only in that you are probably looking at a flat to get the weight range you want. Yes, arguably a point has more flavor, especially for what passes for burnt ends today (that is a different fight) but to get 4kg (about 8 pounds) in a single piece you are looking at a flat. A flat is also more uniform in thickness which is easier to deal with, especially the first time around. You simply are not going to find a full packer that small. Also, you can expect a considerable amount of shrinkage no matter what cut you wind up with.

Overall, go by the basics laid out by Meathead for a brisket and you won't go wrong. I would allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound cooking time. If it cooks fast you can always hold it that much longer in the faux cambro. That step is a MUST to have tender brisket regardless of the grade of beef. It is better to finish too soon and have to hold for extra time than it is to finish too late and have no time to hold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here