Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

point pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

point pastrami

bought a 4lb corned beef point from our grocery store when it was cheap. got around to making some delicious pastrami on sunday.

i started soaking it on thursday. we had a big bowl with lots of water so i first tried 12 hours. i cut off a piece and cooked it. too salty. i later let it do a 9 hour soak with new water. cut off a piece and tried it. close! but still a tad salty. let it soak 6 hours and tried it. works for me! saturday night i put on the rub

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170326_064622[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	295071

sunday i put it on around 7am with some cherry wood. cooked it around 240-260 until 170, wrapped it, took it out at 209(!) at about 4pm because i lost track of time and forgot to check the thermometer (i also wouldn't have expected it to bed done that soon)! i put it in the cambro for an hour and half (it would have been longer but i was getting impatient). i was worried about the extra time in the cooker, but it cut just fine, wasn't over salty, and tasted awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170326_174314[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	295072

the temps went up pretty quick so i'm thinking maybe i didn't need to wrap it. the crust could have been better. other than that it was a complete success!

Oh, wow that looks superb! I wish I had a slice of it for lunch.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That's lookin' really good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here