Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Brisket Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunderich_1
    replied
    I agree with Jerod Broussard on the injecting. I have done briskets on the PBC and on my Weber. I keep it real simple. I actually follow the Franklin method. I use salt, pepper, and then some garlic powder. It's a huge hit every time. In fact my son who is a chef gave me what I consider high praise for someone who has been to culinary school. The first time he tried one his comment was, not bad Pop, it certainly doesn't suck.............lol.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    smokinsteve I haven't smoked mine yet. I'm wet aging for ~30 days, then gonna give it a go! I can hardly wait!

• smokinsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by scottranda View Post
    smokinsteve how did your Prime Costco brisket turn out???
    It was absolutely fantastic! Juicy, tender...best piece of meat I've ever had. About 8 hrs to cook and 2 in the cambro. Have you smoked yours yet? Results?

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    smokinsteve how did your Prime Costco brisket turn out???

Leave a comment:

• GadjetGriller
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with you prime (and choice) are fine with out injecting. Maybe an little time more with the dry brine for Select stuff.

• SlushDeezey
    replied
    No to the injecting. As for the mystique of a prime brisket I gave in once just to see and my overall feeling on the final product was "Meh, it's no better than a choice done right".

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Inject or not inject. Great question! As I have shared here before, I find it difficult to really distinguish subtle differences unless I do a side-by-side test. If it's week to week, other factors come in and make it harder to distinguish with confidence.

I've done two inject vs. non-inject side-by-side brisket tests on choice briskets (I know one round was with regular grocery store choice, and the 2nd may have been with our 1855 upper-choice), then invited people over to do blind tests.

Wanna guess on the results?

Yep, the injected briskets were preferred, having better moisture in the flat as the most noticed difference. It was not a huge difference, but it was noticeable and preferred. The cheaper briskets needed the help even more (and maybe it helped when I overcooked them, to keep some more moisture in there).

For the last 18 months plus I've found a way to get the 1855 Upper choice, and in the past 6 months Prime CAB briskets, and, well, it's been a while, 9 months??, since I've injected a brisket. It's more work and I've just run low on time to get these cooks done, and brisket takes a lot of time on the pit to tend a great fire, wrap when the bark is dark, render the fat to perfection and pull them at the right time. So I've let injection just stay in the, now, large injection supplies box.

It's on my list to do a 36+ hour dry-brine vs. injection side-by-side test. I'll get there!

Do a side-by-side, smokinsteve ! And have fun!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Very solid advise, my friend.

• ecowper
    replied
    smokinsteve BBBR is great, you won't be upset about that. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is "stick with your plan and be patient"

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I smoke my brisket in a Hasty-Bake or a WSM .... also no injection required :-)

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    For a choice packer, I might think about injecting. For prime .... it's just a pain in the butt and doesn't make any significant difference that I've ever seen.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    HawkerXP ..... ten million texans can't be wrong man

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    When you inject it, do it in a container that can handle all the gushing you are going to deal with

• smokinsteve
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies! Gonna crank it up in the AM and stayin' with the BBBR.

Leave a comment:

• Philo in AZ
    replied
    The only thing I have ever injected was turkeys, through the ribcage into the breast meat. Never saw the need to do it for anything else.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here