Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

46 minutes until the chill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troymeister
    commented on 's reply
    Oh...That's nice!!

• Michael Brinton
    commented on 's reply
    Your right on that. Gives you some breathing room. I've had good results not raising the steaks all the way back up to 115 before searing, 105, something around there, then searing. It's cooked how you want so going a little under on the re-therm just makes the sear easier.

• TheCountofQ
    commented on 's reply
    Not sure what you consider a big gathering. We do them for up to about a dozen sometimes. Nice thick ones, and cut into hunks when done. Not a everyone gets a whole steak thing though. Still, there are usually a few bits left to send home with the young ones. Lot's of sides!!

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I've not even considered to gook steaks for a somewhat large gathering, until now. With this you could knock it out the park BIG TIME.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...big-chill.html

• rodkeary
    replied
    Thanks so much. I've been taking "baby steps" with the SV method and so far so good. I want to be as well informed as possible when these steaks will be trimed up and good to go. They are still a couple of weeks away so stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc not quite there.... Enjoying the overtime

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Gor-ge-ous.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, the joys of being an administrator, Jerod Broussard . Congrats on the (well deserved) promotion.

Kathryn

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    This one was 1.5" thick. Yeah 225, it ran 234-245 until I forgot to reattach the lid clamps. 115 before the sear.

• rodkeary
    replied
    Jerod:

That steak is indeed a work of art. I do have a couple of questions as to how you got there.

- when you say "thick" how thick are we talking.
    - were you initially shooting for a pit temp of 225?
    - what temp did you take it to before the sear?

I have a striploin log in the fridge waiting on some dry age and I'd he ecstatic if I could get a result that looked anything like yours.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Oh yeah, you certainly can't taste a difference. I liken it to a smoke ring.

• tbob4
    replied
    That looks delicious! I'm not so crazy about the "can't have any banding" argument. My philosophy is that if you have too much, it can really alter how you would describe the doneness of the steak. If it has a bit, it sometimes turns out the best tasting sear. So when I look at that photo I see what I believe would be a perfect tasting steak. If I see no moisture up through the band I think it could be overdone. I look at the areas of your band and I see juice going all the way up to the surface. Job well done!

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome job, Jerod!

• Steve B
    replied
    Thank you Jerod for making my tummy rumble. I am so Jealous right now and gnawing on my phone.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}