Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

46 minutes until the chill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

46 minutes until the chill...

Ribeye, thick, been dry brining for a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170326_032412.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	294433

You having ribeye for breakfast? Not that there is anything wrong with having steak for breakfast. I love me some steak and eggs πŸ‘.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, just pre-cooking to get ready for the grill tomorrow afternoon. Started vacation at 0211hrs.....woohooo!!! Using Clint's Big Chill recipe

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha...enjoy your vacation πŸ˜ŽΓ°ΕΈΒβ€“

Enjoy that ribeye.... And your vacation..... and like DWCowles said there is nothing wrong with ribeye for breakfast...

curious to see though what you think of the big chill recipe

Comment

Happy Vay cay!

Comment

Jerod Broussard are you going to smoke them before searing? We did that last weekend with ribeyes and they were excellent...a huge hit with the family.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RibEye - 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	294463Click image for larger version

Name:	RibEye - 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	294464Click image for larger version

Name:	RibEye - 6.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	294465

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, gonna do one for dad next Friday while we make sausage. I "had" to do a test run.

Let us know how that Vacay Steak turns out, Jerod Broussard . I'm guessing you won't be counting chickens in your sleep for the next week or so. Enjoy!

TBoneJack , that meal looks awesome.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Um yeah, welcome aboard, Jerod Broussard !

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, the joys of being an administrator, Jerod Broussard . Congrats on the (well deserved) promotion.

Kathryn

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc not quite there.... Enjoying the overtime

Super tender. Didn't think a good ribeye needed anymore tenderness. My pit temp shot up to 271 (hence the slight banding), too busy trying to gather what I need for the Big Bad Beef Rub and finish this. Grates were still a little hot but I was ready for some ribeye.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170326_145005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	497.2 KB ID:	294697Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170326_145329.jpg Views:	1 Size:	503.7 KB ID:	294698Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170326_145430.jpg Views:	1 Size:	321.0 KB ID:	294699

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome job, Jerod!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Gor-ge-ous.

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh...That's nice!!

Looks great - did you get much smoke flavor?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          A little, I ran straight KBB. I'm not much on smokiness on a steak. Just a salty/peppery/crustiness pile of goodness.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 26, 2017, 03:42 PM.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx.

Beautiful!

Comment

Thank you Jerod for making my tummy rumble. I am so Jealous right now and gnawing on my phone.

Comment

That looks delicious! I'm not so crazy about the "can't have any banding" argument. My philosophy is that if you have too much, it can really alter how you would describe the doneness of the steak. If it has a bit, it sometimes turns out the best tasting sear. So when I look at that photo I see what I believe would be a perfect tasting steak. If I see no moisture up through the band I think it could be overdone. I look at the areas of your band and I see juice going all the way up to the surface. Job well done!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, you certainly can't taste a difference. I liken it to a smoke ring.

Jerod:

That steak is indeed a work of art. I do have a couple of questions as to how you got there.

- when you say "thick" how thick are we talking.
            - were you initially shooting for a pit temp of 225?
            - what temp did you take it to before the sear?

I have a striploin log in the fridge waiting on some dry age and I'd he ecstatic if I could get a result that looked anything like yours.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              This one was 1.5" thick. Yeah 225, it ran 234-245 until I forgot to reattach the lid clamps. 115 before the sear.

Thanks so much. I've been taking "baby steps" with the SV method and so far so good. I want to be as well informed as possible when these steaks will be trimed up and good to go. They are still a couple of weeks away so stay tuned.

Comment

I've not even considered to gook steaks for a somewhat large gathering, until now. With this you could knock it out the park BIG TIME.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure what you consider a big gathering. We do them for up to about a dozen sometimes. Nice thick ones, and cut into hunks when done. Not a everyone gets a whole steak thing though. Still, there are usually a few bits left to send home with the young ones. Lot's of sides!!

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              Your right on that. Gives you some breathing room. I've had good results not raising the steaks all the way back up to 115 before searing, 105, something around there, then searing. It's cooked how you want so going a little under on the re-therm just makes the sear easier.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here