Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angus chuckies x3, wrap test for foil/butchers paper/au naturale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job. That's one mound of deliciousness there.

Comment

Ok the results are in. The chucks wrapped with foil were the most moist (??). Followed by the butchers paper wrap and then the unwrapped.

All were over cooked. I pulled the two wrapped well before the unwrapped and had those in the cooler. Unwrapped pulled at 204. That got me plenty annoyed. Had a buddy over and you know how that goes. I'm my own worst critic and he shoveled down a lot of meat and it was fine. The fat and plenty of outside chunks were awesome. Hash tomorrow. Or chili. Or big fat over stuffed beef sws.

All in all I was all fired up for the chucks and those in sure will be better reheated w some liquid tomorrow. Tonight it's about the surprise mac daddy country style Pork ribs. I left hem in the egg for about 3 hours and stirred occasionally. The sauce was molasses based and just got thicker and thicker. Still fat in there. Still moist. And not just glopped w sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	294309Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	294311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	294310

Comment

A great post. Could you tell any difference in taste between the three?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing. My bet is the unwrapped one had a different dryer surface texture and was the tastier of the 3.😜

RonB

the taste was fairly consistent from chuck to chuck. My tasting panel did discuss it. I don't think they cared.

All in all I would wrap the chuck in foil. Negligible effect on bark. Meat just a bit moister too.

And the pork ribs reigned supreme for the original cook, we'all see how leftovers do today.

Comment

Thanx - I wrapped my last chuckie, but without a side by side comparison, I wasn't sure if it was better. Now I will probably continue wrapping them.

Comment

Thanks, Notavegan , for the great posts. It's always fun to read about side-by-side comparisons. Sounds like your cook went well; those pork burnt ends are TDF-looking. Sometimes chuckies taste a bit dry at first, but as they sit, they get better and better. I hope that happens with yours.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here