Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angus chuckies x3, wrap test for foil/butchers paper/au naturale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus chuckies x3, wrap test for foil/butchers paper/au naturale

I've written about the $2.58/lb Angus chucks I recently picked up /scored. Each is about 2.5 lbs but imagine a 2.5 lber that is just a hit bigger then your hand when you hold it. They are big fat beasts.

275 in the egg courtesy of flame boss 200
    (I'm sitting here while my kids are gettin haircuts monitoring the cook ).
    Bbbr for the chucks
    also got country style pork ribs at a ridiculous why not price.
    The ribs got adobo and ol bay.

I plan on wrapping around 175ish and will do one in heavy duty tightly wrapped aluminum foil, tightly wrapped butchers paper, and one that will be left w the bbbr it's only cover. I'll shoot for all of them to be in the 205 range and will begin probing around 200. Or 198. Or 195.... I always yell at my kids "don't open the egg!" It's different when I have to

Anyway ill I'll report back much later. These things have lots of cool time ahead of them and I don't really care how long it takes. The egg is loaded w lump and that thing will crank 275 without a reload well after these are all done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35577.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	294030

Name:	image_35578.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	294029

Didn't mean to have extra pic attachments, if someone w appropriate permissions can zap those please do.

Comment

Beautiful cook underway. Can't wait to see the finish pics! Extra attachments zapped!

Comment

Looking forward to your findings!

Comment

Ah, the scientific method at work! Formulate an hypothesis ... design the experiment ... predict the outcome ... conduct the experiment ... compare the actual results to the predicted ... then eat the results and repeat. Brilliant!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Especially the "repeat" part!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, ya jus' gotta LOVE science!!!!!

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	294078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	294079 I don't know why, chucks cook especially moist in the egg. Same lump and flame boss bent setup as usual. I have no smoke going on, just the charcoal. I've done chuck roasts now maybe 6 times and each time is just a very moist cook envy. Open the dome and a massive plume of steam erupts.

The country stule rubs sure didnt mind. Started yanking off chunks of crispy fat and that turned into 4 full ribs getting taken down by the pack inside.

Moist vook inhibitin bark formation, for now. The bark will prevail I'm confident.

Dont nut use water pans, no drip pan in there either. Not even a platesetter, just meat over 275 lump.

Attached Files

Comment

That's lookin' really good.

Comment

Bark turning the corner. And did I mention how thoroughly impressed I am w the country style ribs? Lesson learned there to try new stuff, especially when you get a load of it for $6. Won't be my last.

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	294098Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	294096Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	294097

Comment

Great pics of some wonderful smoker meat!!!

Comment

Just a suggestion... next time use an additional grate to add cooking space. Place each piece of meat 2" away from the other pieces allowing for increased airflow around all sides of your meat. I think your cooking time will decrease and your bark formation will happen faster. Just my $0.02.😎

Comment

Breadhead
                    I agree w the suggestion and have the large adjustable rug to accommodate that. I flat out had no time and as it was against the clock all morning. Otherwise it would have been multilevel more evenly spaced cooking. The ribs suffered not especially as stuff shrinks quite a bit making more space.

Chuckie in bp had a chunk ripped off, great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	294134Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	294135

And and inspired by the Pit (apologies can't remember who posted ) I did the country ribs and pulled them from the bone and sauced them in a soap foil pan to lakebed burnt ends out of them. What's the worst that can happen?

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	294136

Comment

Beautiful!! That last pic, print it, & frame it under museum glass, and display proudly anywhere in your home. I would also include the recipe on the back, so as future generations can attempt a repeat!!

Comment

Looks great. I love the idea of pork burnt ends. I mean, why not!!! Throw in some bacon fat and sauce.....you might have something there. I agree with Count, that last picture is killer! Nice cook man!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Welp, I'm off to find some country ribs. $6?!?!?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here