Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lard for searing steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lard for searing steaks

Hey pit masters!

I've read here that ghee or beef fat is a good idea when doing the final reverse sear on some thick steaks. I'm reverse searing some beef tenderloin steaks tonight. I plan to do the final sear either in a cast iron skilet on my gasser, or on up-side-down GrillGrates. With the surface temp around 500-550.

Question though: I have lard available, and no ghee or beef fat. Would that work? Or do I really need any fat?

Thanks!

I'm guessing, but lard would probably work fine. After all people put bacon on their filets now and then.

Comment

If I were in your situation, I'd use the lard, no worries.
      Have a great cook!

Comment

I've never tried it but lard should work as well as any other fat. And yes I think fat helps. I've never tried searing a steak without it. I have some lard in the fridge and next time I do a steak I'll try it. You may be onto something here.....

Comment

If you use lard, in conjunction with your Grill Grates, you'll get a nice crust with a lot of flavor; which is something tenderloin needs. For many years, in many restaurants I've worked, lard was the go to to brown meat for many purposes, so trust me, you'll be fine there. Bacon fat is also very good and I use it a lot too.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Use the upside down GrillGrates... they are perfect for what you are doing!

It will absolutely work. if you doing in a skillet. continuously scoop the fat over the top of the steak while cooking. Put some rosemary in the skillet as well.

On the grill, I flip the grill grates over and use the griddle side. Then spoon or brush the lard on too that steak as it cooks. Leave the lid open, you just want the heat on the down side of the steak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here